Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A tale of the Easter Stall

NewEnglandEgger
NewEnglandEgger Posts: 104
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
With Easter approaching, I decided to do Pulled Pork with a Pork Picnic to bring to my family gathering. We do all sorts of different food for family holidays, so some pulled pork will fit in nicely.

I put the 10 lb picnic on last night at 7:30pm, planning to leave my house at 1:30pm today. I felt that should be enough time.

I awoke to find the egg cooking along at 225 with the stall underway at 156 degrees internal. As it was 9am, I figured I should be ok.

At 11am, I started to have temperature control,problems, and it appeared my fire was dying. Temp at the grate dropped to 210 and continued to fall. I was able to get the fire going again with a few pieces of vegetable oil soaked paper towels placed into the bottom of the egg, via the draft door.

With only 2 hrs to go before I have to depart...I decided to try a Texas Crutch. I'm hoping to see some upward movement in meat temp here in the next 30 minutes...or I'm in trouble :)

I'll post again a bit later with the outcome.

Happy Easter !

Tom

Comments

• Wrap it and take it up to 350. You're going to have to push it through the stall. you'll sacrifice a little tenderness but it will still be awesome and all you're guests will brag about how good your butt is.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • If you leave it at 220 it will take several more hours once out of the stall to reach 200. Gotta get that temp up and push it through. You can even do it in the oven if you don't mind your house smelling a bbq joint for 2 days.

• Thanks for the advice guys. I got a bit of reprieve in terms of my departure target time, and I've increased my grill temp to 275. I'm at 176 internal right now, gaining about 4 degrees every 15 minutes.

Should be ok!

Tom
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I got a bit of reprieve in terms of my departure target time, and I've increased my grill temp to 275. I'm at 176 internal right now, gaining about 4 degrees every 15 minutes.

Should be ok!

Tom
    all set. Looking good.

• Just hit 190! Great save Cen-Tex! Have a happy Easter. About to move the shoulder to a cooler for transport. Can't wait to pull it and enjoy!

Tom
  • Just hit 190! Great save Cen-Tex! Have a happy Easter. About to move the shoulder to a cooler for transport. Can't wait to pull it and enjoy!

Tom
    Any time, Tom. Been there many times myself! have a great day and enjoy that awesome BBQ. Throw some towels in that cooler and it will stay warm for many, many hours. They really seem to get tender that way too. 

Enjoy!

• So my first 'public' BBQ was a big success. Served the pulled pork with the option to use Sweet Baby Rays or a homemade East Carolina vinegar based sauce. Not a scrap was left once the family got into it!

Very happy to have had a chance to share my cooking outside of my home. A first!

Tom
  • So my first 'public' BBQ was a big success. Served the pulled pork with the option to use Sweet Baby Rays or a homemade East Carolina vinegar based sauce. Not a scrap was left once the family got into it!

Very happy to have had a chance to share my cooking outside of my home. A first!

Tom
    Awesome. Sounds like a great day.