Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sliced bone-in prime rib

spence
spence Posts: 8
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Folks need some help with this one. I bought sliced bone-in rib roast thinking this is the same as a bone in ribeye steak. Okay how do I pull a rabbit out of my hat and cook these slices of bone in prime rib? Big Green Egg don't fail me now.

Comments

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    You are correct you have ribeye steaks. Cook 'em like steaks.
    George
  • They should just be bone in ribeye steaks at this point unless I'm not understanding you right. Like gte said, if that's the case, grill them up. Should be great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • spence
    Thanks everyone I knew the forum would come through. The issue I am facing is my butcher cut a prime rib into slices. The issue I believe I am facing is the fat content of the beef. The prime rib is not as fatty as the rib eye. Comments welcome.
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    the prime rib and the rib eye are the same piece of cow....
    a rib eye is nothing more than a rib roast that is sliced into steaks... weather it be bone in or boneless....
    rib roasts are allowed to be called "prime rib" even if they are not actually "prime" grade... but regardless, ribeyes are cut from rib roast...
  • the prime rib and the rib eye are the same piece of cow....
    a rib eye is nothing more than a rib roast that is sliced into steaks... weather it be bone in or boneless....
    rib roasts are allowed to be called "prime rib" even if they are not actually "prime" grade... but regardless, ribeyes are cut from rib roast...
    Correct. "Prime Rib" is generally considered to be the 3-4 center cut ribs (i think they are center cut but either way, it's the 3-4 ribs that are considered the best cut off the rib primal). So all prime rib is ribeye, but not all ribeye is considered prime rib. It's just a marketing tool to get more $ for the best part of the primal rib cut. Sooooooo....How thin did your guy cut these? Are they steaks? Are the bones in? Can you upload a pic? That would be a big help if we aren't getting the message. 
  • spence
    How do you attach a picture?
  • Bgolf4me
    Bgolf4me Posts: 16
    The Rib consists of 7 bones.  When left whole this is considered Prime Rib.  Large End is considered the last 3 ribs.  (The larger part of the rib, with the shortest bones.)  The rest is considered small end.  When boned out you have the Spencer, or Bnls. Rib Eye.  If the Rib was sliced with bone you have Bone in Rib Eyes.  Season your steaks and cook according to the instructions that came on the DVD you received with your Egg.  You won't find a better steak.  Enjoy!!
  • How do you attach a picture?
    like this.....
  • How do you attach a picture?
    like this.....
    Kidding- Once your photo is o n your computer go to the attach file link below this box and it will browse for the pic. There is a way to do it direct from your phone too but I haven't figure that out yet. I'll ask someone on here today and figure it out.
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    damn that looks good cen-tex...
  • @#!*% that looks good cen-tex...
    $12.99 per lb too! Cheap for prime.