Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enamel flaked off over winter

rosyposy
rosyposy Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I left my egg at the cottage over the winter, covered with the BGE cover, sitting on a BGE table. When I opened the cottage this weekend (Northern Ontario) I planned some wings and the egg looked like this when I removed the cover. I guess moisture condensed under the cover , got into the layer between the enamel and the ceramic and flaked it off. Looks like hell. Would I have been better to leave it uncovered?

Anyone think BGE will replace the lid under warranty?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm sure they will replace it with no prob. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I'm sure they will replace it with no prob. 
    I think you missed the part where he says he's in Canada.  I wouldn't cross my fingers on getting a new lid.....
  • travisstrick
    Yep. I missed that. The Canadian eggers seem to have a hard time getting help. 
  • travisstrick
    Not sure exactly. Anecdotaly, it seems you Canadians don't have the same support or warranty. I have no facts to back this up. It just seems that way. 
  • I have left mine uncovered in the harshest winters (WI for 4 years) and the hottest summers (TX for 3 years) and have never had any problems. it is out in the elements 24/7 with no roof hanging over or anything like that. I think common wisdom would say not to treat it this way but I do and it still looks great. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I noticed yesterday when I was giving the Egg a noce cleaning that I had small spider cracks all through the enamel. Its not flaking off and you have to look close to see them but it did concern me. Im not sure if that is normal.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    It's normal, it's called crazing.
  • I noticed yesterday when I was giving the Egg a noce cleaning that I had small spider cracks all through the enamel. Its not flaking off and you have to look close to see them but it did concern me. Im not sure if that is normal.
    Normal. They all do it

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I noticed yesterday when I was giving the Egg a noce cleaning that I had small spider cracks all through the enamel. Its not flaking off and you have to look close to see them but it did concern me. Im not sure if that is normal.
    Normal. They all do it

Good to know that. I started thinking bad things and contiplated running down the street yelling and screaming like a mad man. But now I know and am back to my glass of wine.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• I noticed yesterday when I was giving the Egg a noce cleaning that I had small spider cracks all through the enamel. Its not flaking off and you have to look close to see them but it did concern me. Im not sure if that is normal.
    Normal. They all do it

Good to know that. I started thinking bad things and contiplated running down the street yelling and screaming like a mad man. But now I know and am back to my glass of wine.

All good, and good call on the wine......it has begun. happy Easter