Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help! Timing problem with Pork Loin!

kmcadillac44
kmcadillac44 Posts: 47
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have to leave for church at 10:30am and won't be home until 12:30pm -  lunch is at 12:30pm.  I am afraid I won't be able to get pork loin done by 2:30pm by the time I get fire started, temp stabilized, etc.

Should I put it on at 10am and let it cook at 250 or 300 slowly?  I assume I should reach an internal temp of 165 before I serve?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    An awkward situation.  Pork loin is usually not cook lo-n-slo, it has little connective tissue and fat, and can dry out. More often roasted at 350, 1/2 hour per pound.

I can think of a couple things that might help. Load the Egg, and make sure everything is set to fire it up after church. Take the loin from the fridge, spice it, glaze it, whatever, and leave it covered on the counter. Assuming it has been safely handled before, the time spent coming to room temperature won't hurt. Alternatively, if it will fit in a plastic bag, immerse in a sink of hot water soon as you get home.

If it doesn't ruin the presentation, cut the loin in half or smaller portions. That will cook faster.

Get the dome temperature to 375. Recent rule revisions say pork roasts only need to go to 145, but many people still freak over any pork that has any pink left. I'd rather the meat be done right than rush it, so I try to have some appetizers out if the food is a little late.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Could you have the egg lit before going to church?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Could you have the egg lit before going to church?
    Good idea! A couple of hours sitting at 250 would be a good thing.
  • Based on 30 minutes a pound I decided to start it before I went to church -  lit fire around 9am, got it stabilized and put pork on at 10:10am -  its a 5.5 pounder -  temp at 340 F right now -  wish me luck!! 
  • Thanks for the tips guys -  that is why I love this forum!!
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Cook at 350-375, a 5 pound roast should take a little less than 2 hours. You can pull at 142 it will reach 145 resting which is plenty done. 165 will be pretty dry
    George
  • Just got home - internal temp read 188 but it looks juicy on the outside and smelled fantastic -  I foiled and have in oven now to keep warm -  will et you know how it turns out
  • Just got home - internal temp read 188 but it looks juicy on the outside and smelled fantastic -  I foiled and have in oven now to keep warm -  will et you know how it turns out
    Take it out of the oven and put it in a cooler wrapped in foil to rest. Wrap it in a towel and it will stay warm for hours. Need to get it away from heat if it's 188 internal. It's done and will be tough if you keep it in the oven. Rest it in a cooler till you're ready. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX