Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chuck roast stall?

Options
uncledave
uncledave Posts: 90
edited April 2012 in Beef
I am attempting some pulled beef. I am following a recipe that said it should take about 8 hrs.total. I have the xl set up with indirect plate setter legs up, grate them foil pan under v rack. dome is 250. I seem to be stalled at 147 internal. Does chuck roast stall like pork butt? Its been on 8 hrs now. I had hopes of being done now. This is tomorrows dinner so I have time. I put it in a cast iron dutch oven as the recipe said. Only the meat was supposed to be at 160 when I did this. I hope this doesn't hurt anything. shooting for at least 200 internal.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    IT STALLS, SOMETIMES MORE THAN ONCE   pull it when its tender, sometimes its over 210 internal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Yup, there's a stall just like pork butt.

How quick it gets done depends on size of the chuck and temperature inside the egg.  A 15 pound clod could take 18-20 hours, for example.  I like to cook them a minimum of 275 dome temp (about 250 grid temp).  It should be fine though, just take it up to 200 - 205 and it should pull just fine.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• uncledave
    uncledave Posts: 90
    Options
    I hav e 3 chuck roasts combined they weigh ten lbs. Temp is up to 165. On my way thanks