Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TexMex supper and pork belly cook (pictures)

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Home today so I made the traditional friday nite south texas supper: cheese enchiladas, beans and rice.
Frijoles went on this morning right after the second cup of coffee.  Red chili mother sauce made from various dried chilles.  White rice onions and garlic browned,  several tablespoons of the mother sauce added.  Enough mother sauce to make taco belles tomorrow :P 

Toasting the chilies
belly scored spiced and ready to roll

Friday TexMex supper: cheese enchiladas, with red chili gravy, rice and frijoles.  

plated and served with crema Mexicana

pot licker, the  liquid gold  

belly 2 hours at 350

belly 4hrs total time

Taco Bellies tomorrow
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Looks great, Joan.  Anchos, guajillos and arbols - your chili sauce has a bit of a kick to it. ¿ Sí ?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    There were a couple of New Mexico Reds too. Yes the mother sauce has a kick to it but it is tamed down when used to make the the red gravy for the enchiladas an added to the rice.
  • bariccardi
    Options
    Lookings amazing! Wow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice! did you get that belly at CM? I'm headed there in a bit to get beat over the head by 10,000 shoppers hell-bent on paying the highest possible price for their Easter meal :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    pork belly is easiest found at either a) some butcher shops or even easier b) asian markets....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    pork belly is easiest found at either a) some butcher shops or even easier b) asian markets....
    gracias. Just what I need. easier access to fatty pig parts
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Cn-Tex.  I purchased the Belly at the butchers and had him cut into 3x3 sections.  That is will yield two meals for us.  If you are in the Lake Highlands area there is a La Michoacana store that has a wonderful butcher shop.  They have bellies.  I have never purchased belly at CM.  
    Darn you were correct about the shoppers.  I forgot they won't be opened tomorrow.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cn-Tex.  I purchased the Belly at the butchers and had him cut into 3x3 sections.  That is will yield two meals for us.  If you are in the Lake Highlands area there is a La Michoacana store that has a wonderful butcher shop.  They have bellies.  I have never purchased belly at CM.  
    Darn you were correct about the shoppers.  I forgot they won't be opened tomorrow.  
    Good lord I just got back from there...full contact shopping!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    did you get that belly at CM? I'm headed there in a bit to get beat over the head by 10,000 shoppers hell-bent on paying the highest possible price for their Easter meal

=)) =))  You have to have shopped at CM on a weekend to appreciate this.  I can't imagine Easter weekend.  You are a braver man than I, sir.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    did you get that belly at CM? I'm headed there in a bit to get beat over the head by 10,000 shoppers @#!*% -bent on paying the highest possible price for their Easter meal

=)) =))  You have to have shopped at CM on a weekend to appreciate this.  I can't imagine Easter weekend.  You are a braver man than I, sir.
    was nuts VI but I'm safely back home, beer in hand just chillin
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We were in Austin today and skipped CM for that reason. Had a good lunch at Shady Grove.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We were in Austin today and skipped CM for that reason. Had a good lunch at Shady Grove.
    Nice. Love me some shady grove. You had me beat- the store was nuts