Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay, I'm a Believer; first Spatchcock

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432
edited April 2012 in Poultry
I've always cooked my chickens on the Large on my vertical roaster because, well, I bought a vertical roaster.  Since acquiring a Woo for my Small, I decided to try my first spatchcock on a raised grid.  Oh man, I'm a believer now.  That was the best skin I've ever made.   
Next time I'll do indirect as the bottom got just a little black (I just trimmed it off).  Used McCormick's "Monterey" chicken rub and pecan smoke.  I also forgot to brine the bird, the meat was a bit bland, but that was the best chicken skin I've ever made, yum!   :drool: 
Grilled asparagus and buttered bowtie pasta with parsley rounded out the meal.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• TxAg93
    TxAg93 Posts: 124
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    I always go indirect about 450 dome and an hour or so later have some awesome bird for dinner. I've never had an issue not getting super crispy skin. Oh, I usually spray the bird with olive oil and use the BGE rub. It's become my Sunday go to meal.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited April 2012
    Well rounded? I'm counting a mere 4 asparagus stalks and an entire chicken! Looks great.
    Dunedin, FL
  • nice looking bird Botch! Thanks for sharing. I'll add it to the list

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Well rounded? I'm counting a mere 4 asparagus stalks and an entire chicken! Looks great.
    I live alone and only ate 1/4 of the chicken.  The asparagus were the last of a bunch (and there were five) and tomorrow I'll use up the last of my mushrooms.  Bach'ing it requires careful portioning!  :D

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Had to do one for myself tonight, I got too hungry after looking at yours!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Botch I always cook direct even doing on the mini. Check and see how high you have lump piled up. The mini gets a little black on bottom but no problem. I use a woo on the mini as well. I just like the skin so much better direct at 400.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I live alone and only ate 1/4 of the chicken.  The asparagus were the last of a bunch (and there were five) and tomorrow I'll use up the last of my mushrooms.  Bach'ing it requires careful portioning!  :D
    Yeah I hear you. If it were me there'd be no greens on my plate. 
    Dunedin, FL