Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Cook*

Comments

• 5 1/2 hours on 225 dome/grate and 145 internal. Thinking the stall is right around the corner.
    should be close. I've hit them as high as 170 so.......patience my friend

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have had Chimay Red Label, I liked it. Sorry to hijack TX
  • TxAg93
    TxAg93 Posts: 124
    No apologies. Chimay Red is excellent! It was my first Belgian Ale that got me hooked on that style.
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Mine seem to hit a second stall at 180... first 160 now 180... its been 180 most the afternoon... decided to increase the temp some to speed along the brisket...
    the point seems quite tender, but the flat is still a bit firm..
  • TxAg93
    I've been parked at 153 for the past hour. But I'm in no rush as I hope it won't be done sooner than tomorrow morning before church.
  • TxAg93
    Can't believe I'm still awake though. I went to the Spurs game last night after a full day of working on the lawn, washing the cars and errand running. 5 hours of sleep and I'm feeling older than I am.
  • centex99
    I want it done, so I can chop the point and have burnt ends be done tonight!
  • TxAg93
    I hear ya! Evidently this involves something called Pay Shunz. I don't know what it means or how it's spelled but this is what I've been told.
  • centex99
    lol.... I got it up to 300 grate and am slowly letting it cool back down... a bit of a jump start... am going to leave it at least at 275 grate till it finishes up... I'm thinking another hour and it should be good... that's what I'm going with anyhow!  If its not 100% ready yet... I may pull the point off, chop it, leave the flat on, and start the burnt ends at the same time... I have an XL, might as well use the real estate! :-)
  • 99- the point is always done way before the flat. It has tons more fat and fat cooks faster than muscle. Some people remove the flat and put the point back on. I don't but it's not a terrible idea. Yiu could add more rub where you removed the point and have a flat that's 100% barked.
  • TxAg93
    It'll be great no matter your choice. I've not done burnt ends but usually ask for them when I go to my favorite BBQ stand.
  • TxAg93
    8 hours: 225 dome/grate; 154 internal.
  • I've been parked at 153 for the past hour. But I'm in no rush as I hope it won't be done sooner than tomorrow morning before church.
    That thing is going to be done around midnight.

• TxAg93
    Yeah I'm afraid you're right. That's not what I was hoping for. :-<
  • I have had Chimay Red Label, I liked it. Sorry to hijack TX
    You got me.................delicious
  • TxAg93
    The only thing I can fall back on is that my first brisket was a 12 pounder and it took 11-12 hours to get from 154 to 189. I've dropped the temp to 220. But let's say it does finish earlier than desired. What should I do? The plan is to wrap it up and keep it in a cooler while in church then eat an early lunch around 11ish. Should I just pop it in a warm (170 degree) oven for a few hours?
  • The only thing I can fall back on is that my first brisket was a 12 pounder and it took 11-12 hours to get from 154 to 189. I've dropped the temp to 220. But let's say it does finish earlier than desired. What should I do? The plan is to wrap it up and keep it in a cooler while in church then eat an early lunch around 11ish. Should I just pop it in a warm (170 degree) oven for a few hours?
    Well....If it's done at midnight as I suspect it may be, you'll have to reheat it. They will stay very warm for several hours if you wrap it in towels and put it in a cooler. I had a butt stay warm for 12 hours last week but that is not the norm. The best advice I can give you about rewarming a brisket is do not cut it or separate the point. Briskets are notorious for drying out once they are cut. If it were me, I would try to keep it on the egg as long as possible and then wrap in towels (a lot of towels) and put in a cooler. (Actually if it were me, I wouldn't be going to church so we would just eat early :) 

I think if it's 3-4 am when it comes off, you'l be OK wrapping and putting in a cooler. If it's 11-12 tonight, cool it ASAP double wrap it and stick in the warmer at 200 before you go to church. I've never really done this so maybe one of the others can give you some advice based on experience. You will lose a lot of crust wrapping and reheating but you can take the foil off when you get home and it will firm up some.

• No apologies. Chimay Red is excellent! It was my first Belgian Ale that got me hooked on that style.
    I'm sure you've come across this little gem in your journey. This always gets mentioned as the best of all the Belgians. I don't really agree but it's awesome (and I think 14% alcohol...hence the name, Nighty Night!
  • TxAg93
    Yes I like the Nocturnum better than the Tremens, but they're both good. Le Fin Du Monde was a good substitute.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • centex99
    Well, my brisket flat is in foil in the cooler... point cubed for burnt ends (tasted great btw)... Not sure how tender the flat is going to be, but we'll see... Also took 2 cans of bush's beans, added some dry rub, brown sugar, and chopped brisket and threw it on the egg with the burnt ends... Also got a loaf of bread in the bread machine...

Whole brisket cooked:

Flat separated and trimmed up a bit from excess fat...

Blurry picture of the point before chopping...

Cubed point with dry rub for burnt ends...

Beans...
  • TxAg93
    Brugse Zot was an interesting one. Light lace head, light feel, fruit and spice taste.
  • Well, my brisket flat is in foil in the cooler... point cubed for burnt ends (tasted great btw)... Not sure how tender the flat is going to be, but we'll see... Also took 2 cans of bush's beans, added some dry rub, brown sugar, and chopped brisket and threw it on the egg with the burnt ends... Also got a loaf of bread in the bread machine...

Whole brisket cooked:

Flat separated and trimmed up a bit from excess fat...

Blurry picture of the point before chopping...

Cubed point with dry rub for burnt ends...

Beans...
    Nice dude! I would destroy that point right about now. Looks awesome. What was the internal on the flat?
  • TxAg93
    Wow, nice looking bark on it! =D>
  • centex99
    the bark was awesome tasting... I kept eating the bark/fat I scraped off the flat...
    I'm going to be patient on the point and do burnt ends... Internal on the flat was 190ish...
  • the bark was awesome tasting... I kept eating the bark/fat I scraped off the flat...
    I'm going to be patient on the point and do burnt ends... Internal on the flat was 190ish...
    You're good then. it will be awesome after you rest it a little. Great looking brisket. That point never would have made it off the cutting board if it were mine (sorry kids, you get the flat.....again)

• centex99
    It was hard to resist... but it will only get better, right?!?!?!?  I sure hope so anyway..
  • It was hard to resist... but it will only get better, right?!?!?!?  I sure hope so anyway..
    It should be great. I'm not a big burnt ends guy, but more just because when the Brisket comes off, I eat it
  • TxAg93
    What was that word you mentioned earlier, Cen-Tex? Pay Shunz (sp?).
  • What was that word you mentioned earlier, Cen-Tex? Pay Shunz (sp?).
    I hate that word! But good point.

• centex99
    yes, good point... tastey point... :-)