Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egret-ing A Honey Glazed Ham?

Slobberdog
Slobberdog Posts: 54
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I had every intention of preparing a Maple-Bourbon Glazed ham for Easter. For reasons I cannot divulge for fear of domestic reprisals, I have ended up with a spiral cut honey glazed ham. Should I go forth with the Egret recipe or just heat and enjoy the honey glazed?

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    In the interest of preventing " domestic reprisals", stay with the honey glazed, and break out maple for another time.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    You are saying the ham came with a honey glaze kit, correct? I have tossed all of the "kits" and like the spiral much better for Egrets ham.. I just use my fingers to work in the magic in the spirals. That is my Christmas, Easter, and all ham cooks. Spiral hams for the past 6 years. Except this year, don't ask.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    honey was likely just an ingredient in the sugar cure.  like mickey said, if it has a glaze packet you can just opt not to use that, doing egret's recipe instead

egret's recipe is a glaze too. it won't be hurt by the honey in the cure, and it won't make for some bizarre flavor combination. all cured hams have sugar in them, this one just happens to use honey
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The label says "Fire Glazed Honey Cured Ham". It didn't come with a packet. I opened it found it to have a honey glaze already applied. If I follow the Egret recipe, I would be applying the maple-bourbon glaze over the honey glaze. Or, just add some apple wood smoke while heating on the Egg and serve . . .
  • stike
    it's just a frikkin ham.  you can't screw up a ham by adding MORE flavor

:))
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Has anyone ever got an uncooked ham and egged it? The last thing I want to do is stand in line at the Honeybaked Ham Company. They are great, but the egg would be my preferred choice. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • stike
    most storebought are cooked anyway (or partially cooked, to 140).