Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a new idea for pulled pork?

irishrog
irishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have this idea for pulled pork which I havn't seen on the forum, so I would like to know has anybody tried it, or am I being very inventive???
My idea is that when the butt is cooked and pulled, that I would then put the meat into a mould and press it into a loaf of some shape. Then when the meat cools and sets I would remove it from the mould and slice the pressed meat across the grain for sandwiches, salad plates and so on.
I understand most people eat their pulled pork while it is still warm (I might have this wrong, because the only time I have had pulled pork I have cooked it myself, and I dont even know anybody who has cooked a butt) but I prefer my butt when it has cooled and I think you could make a lovely presentation by layering it in the mould with some other items, like roasted peppers, mushrooms, or even blanched carrot battons. Then when you slice the meat you would get the variety of colours and flavours coming through.
I would like to hear any thoughts on this idea, or please tell me if I am re-inventing the wheel with this. If I get a positive response to this idea I plan to try it some time next week and will then pass on the details as to how it works out.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    irishrog,
    Maybe I'm missing something... How are you going to get the meat to stick together when you put it in the mould?[p]Ken

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    irishrog,
    Sounds like it would be interesting. Give it a shot. You could be raising the bar on pulled pork presentations! Think of the garnishes on the plate, surrounded with baked beans on one half and cole slaw on the other end. Let us know how you make out.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    BlueSmoke,
    Methinks he may be counting on the gelatin in the meat. Seems to me when I take my refrigerated leftovers out it's all kind of stuck together. I think the man may be on to something interesting. I've heard of stranger things being done on this forum.

• irishrog
    BlueSmoke, I reckon the gelatine which developes in the meat during the plateau period will bind the meat together naturally when it is in the mould. I find that any over pork left overnight in the fridge is stuck together the following morning , just in a big lump. My idea is to put order on this lump, and make it look nice, with the added colour of the vegetables running through the dish. Served with some sweet cherry tomatoes, and a coleslaw with apple or pineapple chopped through it, this could make an excellent picnic dish. I'm getting quite excited just thinking about the possibilities. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated. Roger.

• irishrog,
    This is in no way a shot.......but are British? Oh....sorry....just realized you may be Irish. When I lived on Antigua in the West Indies I used to eat a bunch of canned meat.....the Brits seem to love that stuff. It sounds like what you are talking about would be a "homemade" or fresh version on the "tinned" meat. I bet it is quite tasty.....but, then again.....I LOVE SPAM!! I'm defintley going to give a whirl. Paul

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    irishrog,
    Top-o-the morning to ya.[p]Your gonna make what's known as head cheese around my neck of the woods. I grew up on the stuff. The pork is simmered in a big pot untill it falls off the bone then bones, skin and gristel are removed and salt, pepper, bay leaf and sage added. After simmering a bit more it's left to cool enough to handle and the meat is chopped into small pieces. The juice is strained, mixed back with the meat and then spread into glass trays and set in the frig to chill. It's very good with salt and a beer on hot summer afternoons. Yes sir, nothing is wasted- hense the name head cheese.(traditionally the head was used to make this.)[p]I guess you can do the same with BBQed pork as long as you saved the meat gelatin which sets the mold.......wait a minute......you could add packaged gelatin.
    Clay

• irishrog
    Midnight Smoker, Spam thank goodness has never been a big seller in Ireland, we prefer real meat here. However, I know the stuff you mean, and yes I think this may be a homemede version of the same idea, but hopefully of much better flavour, and quality of ingredients.
    I have just been to my butcher to order my shoulder for Tuesday, so I should have the dish completed by Friday or Saturday next at latest. BTW do you cook your shoulder with the rind on or off, or is there a right or wrong way to do this. I tend to take off the rind, apply the rub on the fat, and then put the rind back on for cooking. Roger.

• irishrog
    Clay Q, hopefully there will be enough gelatine retained in the meat to hold the whole thing together. Also I intend to put a weight on top of the mould to press the dish together, at least a little, although I dont want to make it too solid. I think it will be a bit like a terrine when it is finished. Roger

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    irishrog,
    pictures, we want pictures when you do this.. please..