Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Daisy Wheel stuck. Help!

JaymeJayme Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello!  I'm new to this forum/owning a big green egg.  I purchased a small used from a guy moving out of town.  It's been working great and I'm already planning on saving up for a large!  I have one problem with this used one.  The daisy wheel/cast iron top is stuck on the egg.  I'm not entirely sure what the best way is to get it off.  I don't want to damage the egg!  It works fine as it, but it would be nice to be able to removed it and put on the ceramic top.

Thanks!
·

Comments

• pezking7ppezking7p Posts: 121
    I use a stick to break mine free, I use it like a spear, not a baseball bat. 
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Have you tried lighting the egg and seeing if it comes off once hot?
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,716
    Maybe use a non toxic lubricant. Something like water, Crisco, or Pam. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Ask the seller if they glued or siliconed it.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
    ·
  • TripleDTripleD Posts: 14
    WD-40 works on everything.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,716
    WD-40 works on everything.
    Except the food you give to your family.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    blowtorch? heat up the daisy wheel top and it should expand, releasing it. Or build a fire inside and pull off with a pair of leather gloves.
    ·
  • troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 455
    Any chance the guy put a gasket on the top? Has the daisy wheel ever come off. Yes, I'd try taking it off when hot.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • pezking7ppezking7p Posts: 121
    edited April 2012
    This happens to my daisy wheel almost every time I use it due to juices from meat, etc.  Just bump it with a stick a few times until it comes loose. 

Edit: WHOOPS, already answered this thread.  Sorry!
    ·
  • JaymeJayme Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the replies!  I just used a screw driver from the under side and that bumped it free!  It was very, very gooped up though so I will give it a good cleaning.
    ·
  • MO_Smoke1MO_Smoke1 Posts: 21
    I always store mine with the wheel opened up. That way it is open while I'm trying to get the fire going. It will loosen up when it gets hot.
    ·
  • If its really locked up, just drop it in the egg for a really hot burn. You'll have to reseason it after, but whatever is locking it up should break free during the burn.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • ShawnShawn Posts: 356
    I use canola oil!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
    ·