Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Never egged a ham w/o maple syrup. Help needed

MickeyMickey Posts: 16,266
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have a small bone in Cooks ham. Linda ask this ham not be like all our others made with Maple Syrup. Not a spiral ham. Need help with this. What do you suggest?
Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,805
    I made one back in the day. It was a peanut butter kinda thing. I took two bites and threw it out. We only do sweet ham around here since.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,805
    Oh yea, I ment to say it was a Paula dean recipe. EW GROSS
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,442
    Mickey, I am not a fan of the sweet, maple, sugary ham at all.  I usually do a Cooks shank ham of around 11 lbs.  I place it in a disposable pan cut side down with about a 1/2' of apple juice.  I give it apple smoke for the first one hour at 250* dome in-direct and after that tent it with foil and bump the temp up to 350 until it reaches 145* in the thickest part (3-4 hours for an 11 pounder).  Your guests will rave and the ham bone will make the best bean soup you've ever had.  I'm doing this exact thing Sunday morning.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Mickey,

Pam says she's always cooked them with mustard, brown sugar, and pineapple.  Also, sometimes she'll cross hatch the skin and put cloves in each intersection.  I don't know if Linda was just wanting to avoid a sweet taste or it was the maple syrup per se, but this doesn't use maple syrup.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    @VI, I grew up on hams made like that, except the mustard. Mom wasn't a fan of maple syrup or mustard.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited April 2012
    Taz,

The mustard is used just to make the brown sugar stick and make a glaze.  You don't taste the mustard in the final ham.  It's the same as Easterners using mustard before egging a pork butt or brisket, so the rub will stick (I use worchestershiresere sauce instead).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    edited April 2012
    Thanks, VI, but
    LOL, I've heard that so often since posting here. Trust me, I've used the mustard on smokes on the past, and i love it! Love it on lots of foods. 
    But I'm not gonna change momma's mind that mustard (yellow, brown, Dijon, doesn't matter) didn't escape from from the 5th level of hell.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • I've used honey, crushed pineapple, and brown sugar. Always a crowd pleaser but I doubt if she doesn't want maple syrup the honey will offer an acceptable alternative.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

·
  • mo eggmo egg Posts: 140
    Im going to try this one this year.

http://www.food.com/recipe/Awesome-Baked-Ham-46922
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,903
    google alton brown city ham
    ·
  • Oh yea, I ment to say it was a Paula dean recipe. EW GROSS
    Donuts and ham....mmmmmm. Homer's dream :))

·