Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Never egged a ham w/o maple syrup. Help needed

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have a small bone in Cooks ham. Linda ask this ham not be like all our others made with Maple Syrup. Not a spiral ham. Need help with this. What do you suggest?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I made one back in the day. It was a peanut butter kinda thing. I took two bites and threw it out. We only do sweet ham around here since.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Oh yea, I ment to say it was a Paula dean recipe. EW GROSS
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Mickey, I am not a fan of the sweet, maple, sugary ham at all.  I usually do a Cooks shank ham of around 11 lbs.  I place it in a disposable pan cut side down with about a 1/2' of apple juice.  I give it apple smoke for the first one hour at 250* dome in-direct and after that tent it with foil and bump the temp up to 350 until it reaches 145* in the thickest part (3-4 hours for an 11 pounder).  Your guests will rave and the ham bone will make the best bean soup you've ever had.  I'm doing this exact thing Sunday morning.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Mickey,

Pam says she's always cooked them with mustard, brown sugar, and pineapple.  Also, sometimes she'll cross hatch the skin and put cloves in each intersection.  I don't know if Linda was just wanting to avoid a sweet taste or it was the maple syrup per se, but this doesn't use maple syrup.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    @VI, I grew up on hams made like that, except the mustard. Mom wasn't a fan of maple syrup or mustard.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Taz,

The mustard is used just to make the brown sugar stick and make a glaze.  You don't taste the mustard in the final ham.  It's the same as Easterners using mustard before egging a pork butt or brisket, so the rub will stick (I use worchestershiresere sauce instead).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Thanks, VI, but
    LOL, I've heard that so often since posting here. Trust me, I've used the mustard on smokes on the past, and i love it! Love it on lots of foods. 
    But I'm not gonna change momma's mind that mustard (yellow, brown, Dijon, doesn't matter) didn't escape from from the 5th level of hell.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I've used honey, crushed pineapple, and brown sugar. Always a crowd pleaser but I doubt if she doesn't want maple syrup the honey will offer an acceptable alternative.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    google alton brown city ham
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh yea, I ment to say it was a Paula dean recipe. EW GROSS
    Donuts and ham....mmmmmm. Homer's dream :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX