Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How does it taste this good?

Options
RichardBronosky
RichardBronosky Posts: 213
edited April 2012 in Cookbook
Okay, so this is only my second meal on the Egg and I have to say, I screwed it up. I made a Hormel brand "Pork Center Cut Loin Filet" of the "Lemon Garlic" variety. I did nothing to it. I cut the package open and put it on my 400° egg with the plate setter feet up and the cast iron grate. I centered the probe in the thickest part of the meat and set alarm for 140°.

Unfortunately I DID NOT flip the switch that turns the buzzer on! I discover this mistake when the meat has an internal temp of 167°

Even worse, because of the indirect heat, there is NO CRUST. None. I always get a crust on my gas grill. In fact I am usually fighting not to burn it too much before it gets to 140°.

I let it rest while I heated some frozen spinach. When I cut it — it is amazingly moist inside, and if the color where any pinker I'd go put it back on the fire. What really amazes me is the flavor. It tastes amazing all the way to the center of this fairly thick cut of meat. Even the little triangle cut from the center in this photo tastes like I would expect a smokey outer crust to taste.

How does the Big Green Egg do that? There is mischief afoot. When I signed that sales slip, did I sell my soul in exchange for perfectly grilled meat every time?
I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012

Comments

• eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    Options
    You know...I was kind of wondering the opposite. I haven't had my egg for long but the only truly delicious thing I have managed to cook so far is a burger. The pizza adventure was pretty good too...but my first spatch chicken wasn't quite done...even using Maveric 732....and my first attempt at beef skirt steak for fajitas produced some average tasting and very tough returns. I'm starting to wonder what the heck is wrong with me? So...count yourself lucky! LOL I've heard many stories like yours but excellent results don't seem automatic..at least in my experience. Hope I can have more positive results...although I'm not sure about the selling your soul part! ~:>
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    I love the redditor touch there. Cant wait to get cooking myself.
    Quebec - Canada
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You guys will be fine. Cook that pork direct next time if you want crust- all good. 160 for pork is a little done for me but still within the range most people prefer (the pink at 160 is interesting, but I'm sure delicious. Next time turn on your thermo alarm!

@eggnited, I left you a note on the fajitas on your other post. You'll be fine too. 

If you ain't burnin' , you ain't learnin"! 
    ;)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    With the pink in that loin I would seriously question your thermometer.  As Tex said said, if you want crust sear it good and cook direct.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE