Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Longest cook on a small

brownbw
brownbw Posts: 154
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Recently got a small for my brother... What's the longest cook time you small bge owners have done?  I've cooked on my large for a year and a half now, and I feel like there might be a little difference in how long it will keep a fire going.  
Opelika, AL

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Using Wicked Good lump packed pretty tight & high, I got 11+ hrs on a butt cook with grid temps ranging from 235-275 in my Small. Probably could have gone another 1-2 hrs. Definitely can't cook as long on a single load as a Large.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i used it as a firebox while coldsmoking yesterday.  Went 14 hours at 300, with enough left for a few hours easily.  
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What did you smoke? The hams?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    just the city ham. took it out of the brine.
    funny thing was i checked on it all day maybe every hour, to make sure the smoke was going.  every now and then i'd check it for color, and it barely took any.  usually it is nice and caramel colored.

i kinda shrugged it off, and figured i'd just make sure to add extra smoke when cooking, because it seems this cold smoke wasn't that effective.

today, i opened the basement fridge, and WOW.  smokey as heck. haha  no a lot of color, but incredible smoke.  ate some too (raw). great smoke flavor.  starting the soak out of the country ham tomorrow.  already smoked that one (cold also) when i put it up last June
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Any pics at all?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    yep
  • i used it as a firebox while coldsmoking yesterday.  Went 14 hours at 300, with enough left for a few hours easily.  
    I have no idea what this means but I want to be able to do it.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I've done a pork butt for 14 hours on my small @ 215.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    14 hours at 250* dome with lump left.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Specifically, I meant the "firebox...coldsmoking...300" part. I see how firebox and 300 go together, but that doesn't sound like coldsmoking to me.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • stike
    small as the firebox connected to the large as smoke box.  out the top vent of the small into the lower with a 3" metalfoil (spring/wire) dryer vent

300 in the small, ambient temp in the large
  • small as the firebox connected to the large as smoke box.  out the top vent of the small into the lower with a 3" metalfoil (spring/wire) dryer vent

300 in the small, ambient temp in the large
    I've seen pics of this setup before. Pretty cool
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX