Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a wooden table - any suggestions?

Chasb
Chasb Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys(gals),[p]Just got my BGE and will be heading to grabs supplies to build me a table in about an hour. [p]Was going to use some pressure treated pine and slap it together, any suggestions out there? Or am I on track?[p]Thanks,
Chasb

Comments

• Hasenpheffer
    Hasenpheffer Posts: 156
    chasb,
    Are you using the BGE Table plans or do you have your own design in mind? Have you seen the table gallery on the naked whiz web site?

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Sounds good to me.[p]I just 'roughed' out my table and I'm glad I did as I have made a number of changes to it. Some day I will build a fancy table. The main change I would make if I was doing it over again would be to make the legs out of 3x3 or 4x4 lumber instead of 2x4's. [p]Toy Man
  • Chasb
    Chasb Posts: 54
    Hasenfeffer,[p]Was going to use the BGE plan unless there was something more appealing out there. I have not seen the naked whiz web site............. yet.[p]Going to google it now :)[p]Chasb

• chasb,
    I have seen many tables and ideas for tables. But I have yet to see one that leaves the egg in the rolling nest. I have a large wood shop and have NO idea why I haven't constructed a table. I will in time. When I do my table, I plan to leave the Egg in the rolling stand and build my table around it on each side. one side will be water proof to store lump, gas torch, utensils, paper towel and such. Other side will house junk of some sort.The reason for my design is to be moble and not have to worry about taking the Egg out of the wooden table to move. The table will wrap around the Egg but not attach. I guess I need to get off my a.. and start building. lol [p]Jerry

• Dave B
    Dave B Posts: 25
    43361733.jpg
    <p />chasb,
    Pretty much the standard plan - used cedar instead of pressure treated because it's lighter and takes stain. Also easy to find dimensional sizes. Got the tires at Lowe's and attached w/lag screws rather than using an axle. One of these days, I'll make a fine table from hardwood...

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Dave B,[p]looks good!
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    chasb,
    be creative! don't let coventional thinking inhibit your thought process...use whatever materials you have at hand... improvise! improvise! you're not building a permanent structure.... just a thing to hold a big green egg??? weird eh? i sent you a pic of mine on your email... the cost...free....all recycled material(aka scrap) thanks! ray

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Mornin' chasb,
    Measure twice, cut once.
    Enjoy,
    bruce

• BigAL
    BigAL Posts: 29
    Built my table last week from online plans. Used green treated (4x4 leggs)not too wild about that lumber. If you use it cut it and get it together fast before it begins to "twist and shout"...also be aware if you have a large with the spring assist that you will have to account for the added height to accomodate the spring mechanism or cut out for it. My neighbor bent me up some stainless steel for the top and it is sweet. Good luck....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_00321.jpg
    <p />chasb, by all means go to TNW site with several ideas. Near the end is mine like shown here. It's a combo of my large and small - which IMHO is a terrific combo. Even though you - like I first thought 1 BGE would do it - I designed my table with the advance thinking of "what IF?" Sure enough less than 12 months later my dear wife gave me the small for a b/d present and all I had to do was cut the hole and add the drawer below. Hope that helps!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.