Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My wife got me a new iPad

bostonjosh
bostonjosh Posts: 67
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
For my birthday. Total surprise. I am a lucky guy. Any advice on BGE related apps? Already discovered GrateTV podcast, which seems pretty good.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Yes, download the "Remote" app.  It lets you remotely (on your iPad) control your iTunes music on your computer.  Then, put in an Airport Express wifi station near your Egg, and add some AirPlay wireless speakers and you will have remotely controlled music at your Egg site.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Cool. How's the sound quality of those AirPlay speakers?
  • Village Idiot
    I don't know.  I'm in the midst of doing it.  I see that there is a wide price range of wireless speakers, so I'm sure it depends on the make and model.

I already use the "Remote" app, and have an airport bridge to my Mac for controlling my Stoker for the Egg, but this would be an add-on.  I think it would work well on a PC system too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Add photobucket to your iPad. Got mine for my birthday last month as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I don't know.  I'm in the midst of doing it.  I see that there is a wide price range of wireless speakers, so I'm sure it depends on the make and model.

I already use the "Remote" app, and have an airport bridge to my Mac for controlling my Stoker for the Egg, but this would be an add-on.  I think it would work well on a PC system too.

Pardon my ignorance on this, but isn't it redundant to have AirPlay speakers and airport express? Or are these for two diff spots in ur house? I thought the point of AirPlay speakers is that they are all in one.
  • Village Idiot
    Josh, I'm not sure yet.  I'm visiting the Apple Store tomorrow.  But, I think I need the Airport Express to be a repeater for my wifi because I want to put the initial set of speakers in my living room, and I only get one dot on my wifi signal there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Check out the Soundfreaq if you want a simpler audio solution. It uses Bluetooth to pair with your iPad/iPhone. Good quality speakers . Not too expensive. My wife lovers hers. Option to plug into a wall outlet for power, or to use batteries.

Tom
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    Thanks NEE, that may be exactly what the OP would want.

I'm looking for a whole house solution plus extending my wifi coverage, so the Airport Express / AirPlay solution may work for me better.  I may be wrong, but I'm thinking the AirPlay speakers would perform better with a good wifi signal.

Edit: I see that the Airport Express station has a jack for speakers, so I might go that route.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tmackie
    tmackie Posts: 67
    Airport Express is  a great device, (I have one) but let me suggest another route.

The Sonos systems are UNREAL!!! I have a couple of Sonos Play 3's and use the free controller app for the iPad/iPhone. Sound is AMAZING and it connects to everything imaginable. 

Check out the online and YouTube reviews. You won't regret it.
  • Yeah, same w me... Plus I have like 300gb mp3s on my home pc, so streaming via iTunes is much simpler than having to sync to the iPad selectively.
  • Congrats on the new iPad. This will not help you with your Egging but it will help with the iPad. There is a weekly video podcast that has some great info on the iPad. The show is called iPad Today and is on the TWIT TV website. The hosts can get a little wonkie sometimes but they always show some great apps, tips and tricks. You can either access the new and all the old episodes at http://twit.tv/ipt or through iTunes.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Village Idiot
    Airport Express is  a great device, (I have one) but let me suggest another route.

The Sonos systems are UNREAL!!! I have a couple of Sonos Play 3's and use the free controller app for the iPad/iPhone. Sound is AMAZING and it connects to everything imaginable. 

Wow !  That looks great !! I think I'm reading that I control it from my iPad and iPhone, but I can pull the music from iTunes on my Mac (plus the internet).  I'll head over to Best Buy today and check it out.  I don't like Best Buy, but it's the only one I see that I might get locally.  Thanks for the heads up !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Sayfore
    Sayfore Posts: 10
    I use my iPad and iPhone all the time at mine...use a Jawbone Jambox and looking at the Bose wireless bluetooth speaker,..I just connect to my home network
  • I use my iPad and iPhone all the time at mine...use a Jawbone Jambox and looking at the Bose wireless bluetooth speaker,..I just connect to my home network
    I have that Bose speaker. it's cool. Great sound for the size. The altec lansing is good too and i think $150 less than the Bose. I love the bose though.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Airport Express is  a great device, (I have one) but let me suggest another route.

+1 for the Sonos.  Having multiple zones is awesome.  The flexibility of the system is great and controlling via the iPhone / iPad.
  • Airport Express is  a great device, (I have one) but let me suggest another route.

+1 for the Sonos.  Having multiple zones is awesome.  The flexibility of the system is great and controlling via the iPhone / iPad.
    gotta check that out
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    For a bunch of old guys, y'all are really up to date on computer gadgets :P
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    We got the Sonos last year. We have one in every room and it is one of the best presents we bought ourselves. Plays pandora and raspody with no commercials or news! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Village Idiot
    OK, guys.  You cost me money.  Bought the Play:3 today and got the free bridge.  After much ado, I have the play unit in another room from the router and bridge.  My biggest problem is that only about half of my songs from iTunes ported over to Sonos.  I am wondering if that is Apple's devious way of preventing pirating songs.

If I can work out the kinks, I already have a couple of other rooms (and the outside Egg patio) in mind for expansion.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• OK, guys.  You cost me money.  Bought the Play:3 today and got the free bridge.  After much ado, I have the play unit in another room from the router and bridge.  My biggest problem is that only about half of my songs from iTunes ported over to Sonos.  I am wondering if that is Apple's devious way of preventing pirating songs.

If I can work out the kinks, I already have a couple of other rooms (and the outside Egg patio) in mind for expansion.
    Happy to help spend your money.

I hardly play my iTunes over the Sonos system anymore -- with Pandora -- there really isn't any need.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I can't be of any help on this topic but i did spend the night at an Airport Express.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • They already stung me for $158 for an adjustable rig on another thread and I'm headed to best buy tomorrow to sound check the Sonos. This site is expensive! Glad i'm going back to work next week so I can crawl back in my hole and lick my wounds for a while. (anyone thinking "I'm glad he's going back to work next week too" can keep it to yourselves- I get it  :)
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I love the new Ipad but I find the Transformer prime performs better! The new Transformer coming out in late may will eat the ipad 3 out of the water!

P.S. Your one lucky man for getting an Ipad 3 from her! Its perfect for entertainment while looking after the grill!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Now I too have some shopping to do to pick up a sonos. At the very least it's only fair since I started this thread and cost others money...
  • Now I too have some shopping to do to pick up a sonos. At the very least it's only fair since I started this thread and cost others money...
    It's the right thing to do
  • tmackie
    tmackie Posts: 67
    OK, guys.  You cost me money.  Bought the Play:3 today and got the free bridge.  After much ado, I have the play unit in another room from the router and bridge.  My biggest problem is that only about half of my songs from iTunes ported over to Sonos.  I am wondering if that is Apple's devious way of preventing pirating songs.

Glad to help you spend some $$. You guys have sure helped me spend some change since Christmas when I got my LBGE!!

Couple of Sonos tips: if you have Sirius XM radio the Sonos will stream that, but I must say that Spotify is the greatest thing to happen to music in years!! I have the premium subscription and we have created dozens of playlists that sync to our iPhones, iPads and our Sonos units. I haven't had to buy music in months! 

Also, don't forget that you can unplug the Play 3 unit and move it around! It will reconnect to the Bridge automatically. We move ours outside when we are entertaining or Egging.

I have to get back to my bone in jerk chicken on the LBGE.....

Enjoy!
  • intucker
    intucker Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an iGrill for use with my iPad and iPhone. I downloaded the app at the app store and purchased the device from Amazon.  I also purchased an ambient temp sensor.  This thing is really cool.  I can monitor the temp on my phone or iPad from up to 300 feet away.  Perfect for when I'm in my kitchen preparing the rest of dinner and keeps me from going outside to check on the grill. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Tips on where the lest expensive Sonos are in this thread would be appreciated.  Looks like it does exactly what I've been hoping for.  

On the other hand, I might just buy a $30 roll of speaker cable....

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Question. We have a whole house wired in sound system. Speakers in most every room garage and back porch powered by a Sony amp. Will this Sonos and the iPad interface with what we have now?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Another quality option is an NHT powered monitor with the Airport Express.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.