Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Hog

Options
ShaneF
ShaneF Posts: 26
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any good Wild Hog recipes?  I have a couple good eating sows, roughly 125lbs cleaned sitting on ice.  I would like to cook a shoulder this weekend.  Should I do it the same as a store bought, low and slow until 195?  Leave the bone in? Brine/recipes?  I didn't battle the ticks and fleas for nothing, I need a good recipe for these suckers.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have no idea about any of your questions, but I was wondering is wild hog gamey? I have never had it.
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Run a search. I believe travisstrick had a posting recently with pictures regarding wild hog.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have no idea about any of your questions, but I was wondering is wild hog gamey? I have never had it.
    It is very gamey can can be good. I've had it a few times and like most tings in life....some's better than others

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Yes talk with Travis he has the smarts on the wild hog cooking (and killing).

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Options
    I actually can't tell too much difference, but you have to process it right. The gamey taste I notice is from the fat, you just need to cut it off the edges.
  • SandBilly
    edited April 2012
    Options
    But, we usually just cut them into steaks. Haven't tried a whole shoulder or butt.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Good eating sows are one thing. Big boars are another.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Tomcat225
    Tomcat225 Posts: 41
    Options
    I cured a ham from a wild hog a couple months ago and posted about it. i wasn't too crazy about the taste..hope you have better luck!
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136866/wild-ham#Item_10
  • SandBilly
    Options

Amen...I forgot the most important, don't even try to make one edible...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    True- The boars were gamey as all get out. nasty layer of yellow slimy fat when we cleaned them.Just nasty critters all around.  No bueno for me. 
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I have eaten some pig sticks made from some that were super good. Small little slim jim looking things. Awesome, said it was all boar
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have eaten some pig sticks made from some that were super good. Small little slim jim looking things. Awesome, said it was all boar
    I can see that getting some spices in the meat (sausage sticks) would help. The ribs were the best part of the one we did but I'm not too excited about getting into another one.
  • SandBilly
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of the taste depends on what area they are in, diet, etc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of the taste depends on what area they are in, diet, etc.
    yep- Mine were all from S. Texas and apparently they ate wet dogs  :))
  • SandBilly
    Options
    Lol! I I have a buddy that trapped a few, he threw in some Jackrabbits and the next morning-nothing. Hide, bones and all..
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lol! I I have a buddy that trapped a few, he threw in some Jackrabbits and the next morning-nothing. Hide, bones and all..
    We do that too. They are voracious carnivores and mean as hell. They have taken over my buddy's ranch so we go down there to try and thin them out when we can. They have a huge trap so we go out and shoot rabbits and throw them in the traps, next day, lots of pigs in the traps and no rabbits. Crazy stuff. 
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Never had wild hog, and glad I haven't - which means they do not exist to any extent up here on the Frozen Tundra. Wouldn't mind trying one though if the opportunity came up. 

I can say that the taste of wild game depends heavily on what they have been eating. Venison is very popular up here. Deer harvested from areas heavy into agriculture has a different flavor that those taken from heavily forested areas. Most people prefer the "corn fed" venison since it has less of a gamey taste than deer that fed on acorns and such. It is pretty safe to assume that wild hog would be the same way. My guess is if a young wild hog was caught, penned up, and fed corn just like domestic pigs, the meat would taste very similar to pork.

Regardless, eat up and find a good recipe. I feel sorry for anyone with a wild hog problem. Sounds like they can do a lot of damage and are nearly impossible to get rid of them. I'm sure that landowners appreciate those that are hunting them.
  • ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Ya.  We have a huge hog problem here in central texas.  Anytime it rains and the grass finally gets the water it needs, the hogs come in and tear up the pastures.  I have been trying to trap them in a 30 foot wide heart shaped trap with little luck.  They are just too smart and two strong to keep penned up.  I use jello mix and corn to draw them in but I have never heard of rabbits.  The rabbits work as bait??  The thought of that makes these dirty creatures even less appealing.  I hate to shoot and dump them and there is only so much sausage that will fit in the freezer.  I just don't have much experience cooking them, expecially not on the egg.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ya.  We have a huge hog problem here in central texas.  Anytime it rains and the grass finally gets the water it needs, the hogs come in and tear up the pastures.  I have been trying to trap them in a 30 foot wide heart shaped trap with little luck.  They are just too smart and two strong to keep penned up.  I use jello mix and corn to draw them in but I have never heard of rabbits.  The rabbits work as bait??  The thought of that makes these dirty creatures even less appealing.  I hate to shoot and dump them and there is only so much sausage that will fit in the freezer.  I just don't have much experience cooking them, expecially not on the egg.
    The rabbits work as bait but we always use corn too. They have corn feeders all over their ranch and the hogs chase all the deer away from them. They already have the taste for corn but they will eat anything. I remember 10 years ago, it was a treat to see a wild hog down here. Now it's more like, "if there's one, there's a thousand".