Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Canadian's first cook

BRush00
BRush00 Posts: 367
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well - got my Large BGE set up on it's temporary home (cinder blocks), and got my first cook in last night.

This was my first time cooking on Charcoal since I was maybe about 3 feet tall, and not actually cooking (but standing next to my Dad). 

I'm going to be doing up some Ribs and Beer Butt Chicken this weekend for Easter for my family, so practice is in order before then.  Decided to grill some Chicken Thighs and Veggies last night.

Everything turned out really well, but I've got a couple issues I'll have to think about/deal with. 
  1. As you can see in the photos I'll eventually post - my current veggie pan deal really doesn't fit very well.... any suggestions?
  2. the yellow peppers I've got in there seemed to pick up ALOT of what I'm gonna call a "charcoal-y" flavor.  Onions, Mushrooms, and Chicken did not - maybe a bit of smokeyness - but the peppers kinda turned.... sour/charcoaly tasting.  Thoughts?
  3. My fire seemed to take quite awhile to get going (dumped in charcoal, pushed it around so the really big peices were at the bottom, added a starter cube, lit, piled some medium peices on top, opened draft door, left lid open).  I'm going to chalk this up to lazy charcoal placement, and snow - but if anybody's got any advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks alot folks - very glad I found this forum, and the egg in general!

[Insert clever signature line here]

Comments