Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mid-Week Rib Roast

smaksmak Posts: 86
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday the family had asked for a rib roast.  I normally do reverse sear method but did not have enough time for the low-n-slow part.  So I went with an indirect setup 500* for about 20mins and then knock the vents and let it ease down to about 375*.  I also had a few hickory chunks in the fire.

It was seasoned with some EVOO, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary.

Overall I was very happy with the results.

And sliced:
Leesburg, VA
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    Very nice, did you forget to invite us all over?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    That will make your mouth water!!
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,315
    That's my favorite way to cook the roast.  Cooked one earlier this week and it came out great.I'll have to try the rosemary next time.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • EggbertsdadEggbertsdad Posts: 794
    Oh baby! Give me that rare piece in the back!  ^:)^
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    ·
  • pezking7ppezking7p Posts: 132
    Turbo Rib Roast?

It looks very tasty!  How long would you say it took using that method? 
    ·
  • smaksmak Posts: 86
    I don't know if I would call it turbo.  Maybe "normal" vs. "slow".  I say this is more "normal" because sear-then-roast was the way we cooked them in the oven before I got the egg.  It probably is a point of view thing.

The roast was bit over 4.75 lbs.  I did not keep a close eye on the time but it was probably 1.75 hours(ish).

@Mickey - next time I'll send you an invite.  But, by the time you get to VA the food will most likely be gone :)
    Leesburg, VA
    ·
  • I did one at 225 ...which was sick...then did the reverse sear....people loved it...medium rare all the way through...your pic looks awesome!
    ·