Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse failure

Groundfish
Groundfish Posts: 71
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
help please,[p]i bought a 1.5 lb porterhouse. coated with DP cowlick. brought my medium egg to 700. did one side for 2 minutes (i didn't realize how hard it would be that hot and had to go grab a mitt). second side for 1 minute. took off and adjusted egg for 400. put steak back on in 15 minutes at 400. cooked for 6 minutes, turned and cooked another 6. steak had wonderful flavor but it was tough and chewy and even a bit dry. any ideas?

Comments

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Groundfish,
    How thick was the steak?
    Did you let ut rest for 10-15 minutes before you cut into it?
    what color was the meat when you cut into it?[p]answer these questions and we may be able to give you a more informed answer.[p]

• Groundfish,
    Bad choice of meat. Porterhouse can be a tough cut no matter how you cook it. Maybe crockpot next time. [p]Jerry

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Jwirlwind,[p]You might want to rethink that answer. A porterhouse is a fine steak. I think it was just overcooked.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Jwirlwind,
    You need to lay off the hard stuff I think...lol[p]Porterhouse is a T-bone with the entire tenderloin left on that side...so it's basically a T-bone with an entire filet also.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    drbbq,
    I really love my filets but a porterhouse is a real close second. Best of both worlds.[p]Hope to see you at The Royal.[p]Mike

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Groundfish,[p]My gut feeling is you put a LOT of cooking time on one steak. Just your dwell at 400 (which is a tad high still) came to 12 minutes. I don't think I ever do a 2" thick one for more than 6 total. Get the hot mitt first (or consider leaving the lid open on a superhot, fast sear and get a pigtail flipper from Lawn Ranger). Then take out the steak after your sear and stick it on a plate. Shut it down until around 350 and then put it back on. Check it at 3 minutes. Chances are unless it is a cowboy cut which is the size of a hippo you won't need it any longer than that IF that long.[p]Try again. You can always do more time if not done enough, but there is no undo to click![p]mShark
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    mollyshark,
    Plus it all depends on how he likes it cooked..i.e rare medium rare, ect...
    Looks like he wants to well, well done. I like mine medium rare and never had any problems with about 8 minutes at 600 dgrees total time.
    ST

• Groundfish,
    holy chards nuts batman.
    Too hot to sear.
    Just cook the darn cow will ya.
    Who's idea was it to sear that hot anyway.
    Its not a roast Emeril!

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Yeah, but when you add his up that is a 15 minute cook at pretty high heat! It should be begging for mercy at that point!![p]mShark
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    drbbq, I agree. Unless, of course, he got the ass end of the PH right next to the Sirloin. That piece can be quite veiny, sinewy and chewy. Still not 'that' bad, though ;)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Groundfish,
    Good answers below. Sounds like a bit of overcooking. Here's what you do. Log onto thermoworks.com, and spend the 80 bucks for a super-fast thermapen. Then you can use this to "train" your finger to test the doneness of the steak. A fat steak like that one probably needs pulling off in the 125-130 range for a medium rare. So each time you cook a steak, push on it with the tip of your finger before you put it on. Then when you flip it over after searing the first side, press on it again. Do the same thing on the second side when you flip again. each time it will tighten up a little. When your thermapen gets a reading of 125-130 press on it again and take it off. The fatter the steak the more the temp will rise in the middle after you remove from grill. Then press on it again after the rest and remember how it feels.[p]Of course you don't really need to press on the steak if you have a thermapen, but if you do this for a while, you won't need the thermapen any more to cook a steak, and you will never overcook one again![p]This is what I do for medium rare. BTW, how do you like your steaks cooked?
    Nice choice on the rub!
    Best of luck, and yell with any more questions!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Groundfish
    Nature Boy,
    i already looked into the thermopen. they have a special running on buy 5 get one free so i posted to see if their were others eggers in my area. no replies so far, i guess that correlates with the fact that there is no dealer in miami either! i am definately getting one for consistency's sake. i go for medium steaks but don't mind some pink or closer to well done.[p]that cowlick is good stuff. i bought mccormicks grillmate rub when i first got the egg. threw that stuff away!
    thanks

• Groundfish
    egghead2004,
    it was about 1.5". it had a good 15 minute rest. i am bad with color but it still appears pinkish. nothing about it looks burnt but i trust the opinions that it was overcooked. it is the 1st time i tried the high temp sear thing.

• Too hot? I think not. My steak method goes something like this:[p]Egg gets preheated to somewhere between 700 and 1000 degrees. It can't be too hot. I have, in rare instances, seen temps in the 1000+ range for the first part of this cook.[p]Steaks get seared for 3 minutes on the first side, 3 minutes on the second side, then the closed cap (I have one of the old style iron caps that I use for steaks instead of the daisywheeler) is on and the damper door is closed for 3 more minutes. I do not remove the steaks during the shut-down phase. By the time the dwell is finished, the egg is usually getting close to 450 or so.[p]Nine minutes from start to finish is all it takes.[p]MOST IMPORTANTLY, open or remove the cap and fully open the damper for several seconds and also "burp" the dome before you fully open the egg! This is a prime example of how to make a flashback. I have the lack of arm and nuckle hair to prove it.[p]This has worked for all but the thinnest steaks and I constantly hear praise, no complaints. The finshed product generally comes out as a medium to medium-well with lots of juice and just a hint of char on the seared surfaces. The thicker the cut, the better. But steaks as thin as 1" have done well using this method. We hardly ever go out for steaks anymore.[p]I have done the T-Rex method and agree it is probably the best. But I feel mine also works well and I don't have to wait to eat.[p]Looks like our friend here simply overcooked his steak. Keep trying, find your favorite method and enjoy your Egg!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    groundfish,
    For a fat steak like yours, if you want medium after the rest, 135 will probably get you there. Maybe 130. You can also use a cheapo cooking thermometer until you get your thermapen. Just stick it in after the final flip, and keep your eye on it while the steak roasts. Remember you can always put the meat back on if it is not done enough, but you can't go back the other way![p]Glad you like QFan's Cow Lick, and always nice to hear that someone likes our product better than the "spice giants" themselves! McCormicks aint got nuthin on us...LOL.
    Happy weekend!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Groundfish
    Fire in the Hole,
    thanks for the input. i am a bit surprised to still have the hair on my arm and hand from the temp i did. my only fear is ruining my gasket. hair grows back!

• Gaskets are expendable. Plan on replacing them. There are many schools of thought concerning gasket replacement. Seems like the Rutland route is the way to go if you don't want to be bothered. I prefer to go the ol' original BGE felt way, myself. It's quick, easy and let's me spend a little quality time with my favorite backyard buddy, Mr. Egg.[p]As you get further into this hobby, you will discover that the egg can handle quite a lot of use and abuse. Sooner of later, you will crack your fire bowl, as many of us have. My has been jig-saw puzzled together for quite a while now without missing a lick.[p]And with the top-notch warranty you get from the great folks at BGE, even that is a minor problem.[p]So I say don't sweat the little things and GO FOR IT![p]Or should I say, "FIRE IN THE HOLE!!"[p]:)
  • LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Jwirlwind, you posted....[p]"Bad choice of meat. Porterhouse can be a tough cut no matter how you cook it."[p]I think you might need to look for a new source for your meat.[p]I've done PH's TRex style many times, never a bad one.[p]I'm thinking perhaps that person just got a bad cut of meat.[p]A PH is definately not a bad piece of meat, IMO.[p]LVM

• Groundfish
    drbbq,
    i was reading your steak chapter today since i left your book at work. what temperature are you referring to when you say medium or high heat in your book? i really like your book by the way.