Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2

GaryLange
GaryLange Posts: 418
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I see in most cases it comes with a 10cfm fan is this enough for the Large Egg?

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    More than enough.  I have a 10cfm for my XL and only leave the damper open about 1/3.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    There's a great write up on thenakedwhiz.com on this. He agrees with @chokeonsmoke that the 10cfm is the right choice.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • GaryLange
    Thanks for the responses. I want to order one but was unsure about the fan. Was going to get it local but they are way to proud of it. $400.00
  • Scott P
    Scott P Posts: 22
    It's a great product. I have one for an XL and it makes doing long cooks so easy.
  • forty_crk
    forty_crk Posts: 52

I got one for my birthday last week.  AS I have previously stated I was shocked and stoke to get it going.  Pertaining to the fan size...I am just totally missing it on mine or where do you read if its a 5, 10 or bigger cfm?  Is a 10cfm standard on a BBQ Guru Digiq DX2?  My wife ordered it from BGE for my L-Egg.

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question...I ahve called myself looking all over it for the cfm...but I just thought I have not looked the actually fan it's self.  I will when I get home in about an hour.

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • GaryLange
    The Pit Viper shows as 10cfm and the Pit Bull shows to be 25cfm. This is from the BBQ Guru site.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I have a 5CFM using the Stokers on my large BGE and it's perfect. About 6 minutes to get 350° after lighting and when the fan kicks in, there is a nice exhaust blowing straight up from the daisy wheel. 200° all day long, no problem.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited April 2012
    I have the Stoker with a 5cfm on my large too,it's what they recommend. I cant imagine needing more.
  • Scott P
    Scott P Posts: 22
    The 10 cfm works just fine for the large and XL. I have a XL and it works perfect. You set your temp, wait for the egg to get up to temp and then adjust the top vent to be open very little and then your set. I have done 10-15 hour cooks at 225 and the temp stays within a degree of your set temp. My back yard is sometimes very windy so I sometime have to close the top almost all the way, when it is not windy then it is open a little more. You will have to play with top vent a little and learn. Just remember, if you temp gets to high, it can take a long time for it to cool down. Good luck,