Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reseasoning a wok with out stripping it?

AZbge
AZbge Posts: 96
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a wok from the wok shop like many others on here. After five or six uses, I seem to have a ring on the inside that looks like it did the day I bought it. I may have rubbed off the seasoning the first couple of times I cleaned it with a wok brush. Can I reseason it without having to strip it down to the bare carbon again? Not sure it's a problem, more of a pet peeve for me. Don't really have problem with food sticking.

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have had the same thing happen using a wok brush.  Now I just rinse/soak with warm water and dry with paper towels and call it good.  It just keeps getting blacker like a good cast iron skillet.  Back to your original question I just scrubbed mine with soap and water and re-seasoned per the video from The Wok Shop.  No need to strip it to bare metal in my experience. 

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    just keep using it. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    what stike said.

And, toss that bamboo wok brush.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    it's not a wok, but i 'clean' my cast iron pan by wiping it down with a paper towel while it's still hot.  that's it.

• Village Idiot
    it's not a wok, but i 'clean' my cast iron pan by wiping it down with a paper towel while it's still hot.  that's it.

Does that get the chunks of e. Coli off of it, stike?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• stike
    nope.

but since it's MY e. coli, i'm fine
  • AZbge
    Thanks guys.  The wok brush will be in the trash shortly.  I noticed my wok (and cast iron for that matter) have a couple of rough, dark areas that I am sure is stuck on food.  Can't get it off unless I take a harsh abrasive to it. I can't imagine I'm the only one this happens too. "Wiping it down" when I'm done doesn't remove it so do you guys just keep cooking on it anyways? Maybe it will burn off eventually....
  • AZbge

Stike- I assume there is no stuck on food then correct? Or if there is, you don't worry about it?
  • raydefan
    raydefan Posts: 8
    I though you we supposed to put oil and a little kosher salt in it and wipe it with a paper towel
  • AZbge
    I though you we supposed to put oil and a little kosher salt in it and wipe it with a paper towel

Thanks! That worked like a charm. I'll probably try to reseason once more.
  • inkyon
    inkyon Posts: 88
    Speaking of the wok, how hot should the BGE be to cook it hot and fast?
  • Village Idiot
    Speaking of the wok, how hot should the BGE be to cook it hot and fast?
    Not an easy answer, and this is my opinion only.

In general, the more experienced you are at stir frying, the hotter the fire (to a point).  For beginning, I'd say about 500 degrees.  As you get used to it and can stir fry faster, then you should have a hotter fire ... 800-900 would be my guess.  One time, I got it too hot and as soon as the chopped garlic hit the oil, it flamed up and turned the garlic brown (overdone).  That fire was too hot.  
    8-}

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Gary, I noticed a little rust on the bottom of my wok. How should I remove? Thanks.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Gary, I noticed a little rust on the bottom of my wok. How should I remove? Thanks.
    Inside or outside?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs
    Outside
  • Village Idiot
    It's probably just a thin layer.  Try rubbing it hard with an oiled cloth or paper towel.  And, always remember to oil the outside after cleaning.  I bet after a couple of cooks and oilings afterwards, it'll go away.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs
    How do you oil your wok after cooking. Just wipe down with an oiled cloth?
  • AZbge
    How do you oil your wok after cooking. Just wipe down with an oiled cloth?
    Exactly. I put a thin coat on after every use. I do it with my cast iron also.
  • Chubbs
    Yeah I do that as well. Just seeing if anyone has some scientific method since mine still got a little rust.
  • AZbge
    Do you heat it up on the stove before you put the oil on?  Maybe it wasn't completely dry?
  • Chubbs
    I think it wasn't completely dry. All joking aside, the rust appeared the first and only time my wife has cleaned the wok.... I think it was a conspiracy.