Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Proposed Pollution Law Would Regulate Outdoor Food Cooking

Options
egger ave
egger ave Posts: 721
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have mixed feelings on this one. Pollution control is important but I can't see where there is enough impact to justify the degree of regulation. "An announcement by the EPA is expected in the next few weeks for the amendment of open burning laws to regulate the use of outdoor food cooking using wood in those states like Texas where EPA goals of pollution control have not been met. There will be a one year phase-in period for transition to P2 permits. After this period, businesses and individuals may face significant Federal fines for non-compliance. This will be a new cross-cutting issue that impacts current "Children's Health", "Conservation", "Permits" and "Pollution Prevention (P2)" topics. This regulation will not apply to tribal governments of indigenous people. Use of propane or electric devices will remain unaffected."
1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    Any more info on exactly how they will be regulating "outdoor food cooking using wood"? 

Seems pretty ridiculous imo.  It's getting to the point where you can't do anything for yourself anymore...need fishing licenses, hunting licenses, outdoor cooking licenses...next I'll need a license to grow veggies? 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    Options
    to regulate the use of outdoor food cooking using wood in those states like Texas where EPA goals of pollution control have not been met.

Regulate outdoor food cooking in Texas ???  =))

Every third member of the NRA lives in Texas.  In Texas, the definition of a "liberal" is a person that owns only one gun.  

Maybe this regulation is why the Dept. of Homeland Security just bought 450 million rounds of hollow point ammunition.  They'll need it if they try to douse our BBQ pits.  Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    There are few things that no amount of bleeding heart liberal nanny state no personal responsibility EPA regulations will be able to do a DAMN thing about. 

One of them is outdoor food cooking in Texas. The would have better luck getting out guns.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smoke from your chimney and grill is easy to see, and makes it a target of those who want to "do the right thing".  but it is wood-fueled, and essentially carbon neutral.  cooking with gas, and driving to the store, put way more C02 in the atmosphere than my wood grill does.

a neighbor gave me grief once for all the smoke. jokingly, but it did belie her 'thinking'.  that all that smoke "can't be good".  i reminded her i worked from home, and my wife is stay at home. and that before i worked from home, i took the damn train each day to work. basically told her 'jokingly' that she ands her husband driving to separate jobs pump more C02 into the atmosphere each day than i do in a month.  i'm all for cleaning up our act, but just because her car's exhaust is invisible doesn't mean it is not the problem and my grill smoke is.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    My county in Colorado just banned all outdoor cooking with charcoal, but for fire danger reasons, not pollution...its that time of year, and it's been REALLY dry.
  • egger ave
    edited April 2012
    Options
    We had the same ban in Central Texas for months last year and only recently lifted. It was a long smokeless summer with no BGE.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I can understand banning cooking in Colorado during this temporary emergency.

I don't see how the EPA thinks that they can regulate charcoal grills. The only thing I can see is putting a tax on the charcoal itself like cigarettes and anything else the government thinks is bad for you. Then we will all learn to make our own charcoal.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Quinn:  Are you in Jefferson county?

And the amount of air pollution a cow releases from farting is probably more than the pollution released from cooking it, haha....
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Yeah.....I'm not really saying our ban is a bad thing...anything to minimize the risk.

Odie....Douglas
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Quinn:  Are you in Jefferson county?

And the amount of air pollution a cow releases from farting is probably more than the pollution released from cooking it, haha....
    Not probably..  Way, WAY more.  And don't forget the carbon released by producing all the food to FEED those animals.  2/3rds of food produced goes to feeding animals for human consumption, worldwide.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, @Stike is correct.  Wood burning is carbon neutral.  I didn't read the report, but EPA may be considering particulates?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    Just when u think you've heard it all........amazing.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    GreenhawK, Don't give them any ideas we have enough taxes. This is just stupid. They allow all kinds of pollution and can't seem to keep track of anything. It is just another useless Governmental Agency sucking up money for nothing.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    The world has officially gone insane.

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

Just to open to my bias, I would like to open with the fact that I'm very conservative in my political thinking.  Basically IMO the EPA is run my complete idiots, here is S.E. Wisconsin residents of 7, yes only 7 counties are subject to emission testing of cars/trucks, I'd have less of a problem is all residents of the state or country had to do the same, but I guess according to the EPA only cars in these 7 counties create all the polution from vehicles in the state. 

If the head of the EPA, Lisa Jackson, could figure out a way to ban everything she will, I'm quite sure she would ban all farting if she could.  That would eliminate 90% of my 5 year old's humor, that boy loves fart jokes!

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

On another similar note, and I may be totally wrong on this, I friend of mine's father is the owner of Grove Charcoal (Naked Whiz review here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag49.htm).  I seem to recall that a couple years ago, my friend told me that they had greatly reduced if not eliminated the prodution of the charcoal at there facility in Cedar Grove Wisconsin because of government regulations of the charcoal production process and much of there charcoal was actually being made in Canada.  I will check the bag when I go out the the garage to check the butts that are cookin'.

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Surely this is an Aprils Fools Day prank.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• woody's wood pit
    Options

I have to agree with VI , a liberal is the one that has only one weapon and is afraid to use it...

I think that whoever came up ith this should stop breatthing  so they can reduce the Co2 that they put out along with the other noxious gases verbage they produce....

What a bucnh of B.. S...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• egger ave
    edited April 2012
    Options
    It is a prank, the sad part is that is believable. Politicians make anything absurd possible. My wife and I dreamed this one up after talking about national politics. God bless Texas, the United States and all those who love their grilling and their Big Green Eggs.

Albert Einstein
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Nice work. Very creative. It appears you ruffled quite a few feathers out there. You should feel good about that.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    It is a prank, the sad part is that is believable. Politicians make anything absurd possible. My wife and I dreamed this one up after talking about national politics. God bless Texas, the United States and all those who love their grilling and their Big Green Eggs.
    Bahahahahahahahahahah!!! Well played sir, well played.

Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • MeAndTheDog
    Options
    Had me loading the egg and the glock X(
    Conway, S.C.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Egger ave, we lived in CA long enough to see satire written in the Onion be implemented into law.  We sold our house in CA one month before the catalytic converter law for chimneys went into effect.  
    True story.  
    Had a PhD in Berzerkly tell me how bad the cows (think beef) in the Hayward Hills were.  He argued the e.coli from their poop infested the watershed and caused problems for immuno compromised people.  When I asked him about the dairy cows in Sonoma he was just as adamant those cows caused no problems to the water shed, because they were "good cows" (think cheese).  
    I just shook my head and walked away.  E.coli is E.coli and all cows have it.  
    When I got home a California cheese ad was on the TV (think happy cow) and it dawned on me Goebbels was correct.  The mass can be manipulated.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There are few things that no amount of bleeding heart liberal nanny state no personal responsibility EPA regulations will be able to do a @#!*% thing about. 

One of them is outdoor food cooking in Texas. The would have better luck getting out guns.
    Yup. Good luck with either down here!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice! Funny
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • woody's wood pit
    Options

when I die then can pry the egg out of my cold dead...or somehting like that!!!

"well played" and very believable someday there will be a law against everything :) 

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• stike
    Options
    fifteen years ago in DC our friends had a local ordinance against "seared flesh" smells (grilling).  don't recall the specifics.

• stike
    Options
    austin, even WE have e.coli. 

Virtually every single one of our toothbrushes (no kidding) has e. coli on it. And we leave them out for months at ambient temps.

There's an obvious reason why we're ok, but i won't spoil it for those who like to worry.

:))
  • egger ave
    Options
    There is no shortage of idiots in DC who know how to run our lives better than we do. Ignorance is temporary, stupid is forever.

Albert Einstein