Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Herb-Crusted Beef Tenderloin with 5 sauces... so good

bostonjosh
bostonjosh Posts: 67
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Made last Saturday; Steven Raichlen recipe...
First coated with evoo/salt/pepper/garlic and a ton of fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, basil, oregano, rosemary)... let it sit for 24hrs in fridge.
Seared, rested, and cooked at 400 to about 115 and rested for 5-10mins...
Perfect!  I've seen other posts about beef tenderloin being bland... this was so flavorful; the herbs perfectly perfumed the meat.

Sauces: Bearnaise, Shallot Marmalade, Cucumber Relish, Chimichurri, Mustard Sauce

(Only regret was that I made the bearnaise a few hrs before dinner... and it was perfect, but then tried to reheat and it separated; presentation was screwed up but it still tasted good...  next time better to just serve room temp.)

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Nice cook. I like a tenderloin every now and then. As you said, saucesand strong seasoning helps jack it up.

How did you reheat the bearnaise? Havent done it in. Long while, but wondering if doing it gently (like over hit water) might help it

Frikkin bernaise.... I could drink it. Hahaha
    Again, great looking cook
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • yep; over water.  maybe i could have been gentler... but not much.  next time i'll just leave it alone; or make at the very last minute.
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    Looks fabulous. Mmmm maybe dinner for Saturday.
  • Booten
    Booten Posts: 2
    how long did you have to roast it for to get it to 115?
  • Booten, not sure... Admittedly drinks were served with a healthy pour that nite. My guess is about 20min. I have an instant read thermometer... That was key; otherwise would have pulled it off way too soon.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Never thought of serving more than one type of sauce with a BT, much less five; great idea!

I haven't made a BT since the girlfriend and I broke up (I'd cook one every Christmas).  The last one was done in a Salt Crust: first you make a dough out of almost an entire 5-lb bag of salt and I forget how many eggs.  Mixture was so stiff my KitchenAid stalled, I had to finish "kneading" by hand and I was dripping with sweat by the time it was mixed and rolled out.  You then wrap the BT in the sheet and seal all the edges.  
    The salt/egg casing acts as a ceramic insulator, and it cooks slowly but evenly.  
    Presentation was kinda neat, bring the rock to the table and smack it with a steel hammer to break the crust, then carve up.  The meat was evenly cooked, perfectly seasoned, juicy as heck (no juices leaked out of the crust) but it had no crust/bark whatsoever.
    Very tasty, but I won't do it that way again.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mmm, Shallot Marmalade -- tell me more!  
    Nice looking cook!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Mmm, Shallot Marmalade -- tell me more!  
    Nice looking cook!
    I agree. That sounds pretty tasty!!!!!!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Looks good. You can save a broken Hollandaise or Bernaise by adding a little water.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch, I will have to try that... It's all about making an entrance.

Shallot marmalade: shallots, red wine, balsamic vinegar, honey, cooked until all liquid gone. Great bitter, sweet flavor, and very robust.

Steve- great tip... Hopefully I won't need it... But I don't have a good track record.