Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions, questions...

Shary
Shary Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In cooking a sirloin tip roast last night, by the time we added the wood chips, the platesetter and the meat, our stabilized (or so I thought) temp of 300 was more like 190. It took quite awhile to bring it back up. For future reference, does it work just as well to get the egg a good bit hotter than you really want (say 450 or 500) since the temp drops anyway when you pick up the lid to add the food? Also, when using a chicken-butt gizmo, do you set the drip pan on the platesetter with the propped-up chicken inside the drip pan? Or is it better to set the chicken gizmo on the grid with the drip pan under the grid? I'm not very good at this yet, but I sure am having a good time learning.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Once you have your fire started, you should put your plate setter in the Egg and allow it to heat up if you are cooking indirect. Putting the cold (relative) ceramic and the meat in at the same time will result in taking a much longer time to get back to your desired cooking temp. If you had let the Egg sit at 350° or so for 15-20 min. before putting the plate setter in, the effect would be lessened, but still noticeable.[p]As for the beer butt chicken, I do mine direct at 350° with no drip pan. Good luck![p]Jim

• Shary,
    The best advice I got on temp is you want to sneak up on it. If you take it higher to start it takes the dome a long time to cool back down. Add the plate setter as soon as a nice fire has started. The settings on the draft and swivel top will be different when using the plate setter. As for beer butt chicken, I cook them direct between 325 and 350.

• JSlot,
    Echo, echo, echo...