Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Move egg from temp home - to Table

BRush00
BRush00 Posts: 367
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks,

I'm just curious, I assembled my LBGE last night, and right now it's sitting on a couple cinder-blocks & paver on my deck.  I'll be building my table shortly, however wanted to know - what's the best way people find in moving the Egg from one home to another (perhaps a nest - or similar temporary solution)?

I'm planning to build a more or less carbon copy of BGE's large table, so I'll have to lower the egg through the hole in the top.

I'm assuming I'll be pulling the Egg back apart and re-assembling inside the table?

Thanks.
[Insert clever signature line here]

Comments

• chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Yea I would disassemble it before moving just to heavy to try  and move together. To much risk in dropping and breaking it.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    So no problems to be expected with putting the white retainer clips on, and removing the hinge/flange assembly?

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    edited April 2012
    I just picked my large up (with the help of my brother) and we sat it in the table. It wasn't that heavy.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    If you build a table similar to BGE style you can actually remove the back board and a few of the top boards and slide the egg in from the back.  Then replace the back board and top boards and you're good to go.  Worked great for me and felt much safer than lowering through the top.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    If you dissemble it, you can move it yourself by just reaching a gloved hand inside and using the lower vent opening as a handle. If you just pull the guts out of it, you can leave it assembled and move it with something like a PotLifter.

I've done if both ways and prefer the PotlLfter route.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • I have moved mine a few times without taking apart. I agree that it's safer to disassemble but if you have to able bodied folks, you can do it (3 might be better)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Pull all the inside pieces out.  Use 2 people.  Don't lift by the bands, or anything connected to the bands.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I just got my XL Egg and was eager to install it tonight to start grilling. However, my table is far from built yet. You guys are making me hesitate to assemble it or wait for the table to be done...

Quebec - Canada
  • My husband and son moved our LBGE from the nest to a table.  No problems. Disassemble if you are worried about it, but it isn't a must. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2012
    Pull all the inside pieces out.  Use 2 people.  Don't lift by the bands, or anything connected to the bands.
    Please read what he said..... Don't touch the bands or handle or anything connected to the bands.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Pull all the inside pieces out.  Use 2 people.  Don't lift by the bands, or anything connected to the bands.
    Please read what he said..... Don't touch the bands or handle or anything connected to the bands.
    Great Points! I did take all my stuff out and I did not use the handle or lid to hold.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I have had 2 new large BGEs delivered.  Both were transported fully assembled.  Tables were put in place and then 2 young strong guys lifted and placed in the eggs in the tables.
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    I would suggest a rachet tiedown below the lower ring, with other belt type of tie down attached to the circular tiedown and lift from there. Hope i explained myself!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Get a Pot Lifter and your all set
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited April 2012
    ummm, perhaps I'm missing something, but the (Large) Egg weighs approximately 120 pounds. A bit more w/ the "guts" in it. That's roughly the same as a 31" CRT TV.

One man should be able to lift 120#, though I'll admit that it's "awkward" to try to lift up to such a height & lower into the table w/ one person. However, 2 able-bodied people should be able to do it w/out the need for fancy tools, straps, hoists, etc.

But even if you want the "warm fuzzy" of something like a pot-lifter, why not just use some ratchet straps (I'm thinking 2 would suffice). Wrap one around & cinch-up, leaving the leftover strap for 1 person to use as a "hoisting strap" and do the same w/ a 2nd ratchet strap, leaving the leftover strap for a 2nd person (on the other side of the Egg) to use as a "hoisting strap."

I'd assume most people have a couple ratchet straps laying around. Most folks don't own a pot-lifter though.

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I would suggest a rachet tiedown below the lower ring, with other belt type of tie down attached to the circular tiedown and lift from there. Hope i explained myself!

Felipe
    +1 - ya beat me to it!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee