Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flashbacks

balliardi
balliardi Posts: 72
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
What are flashbacks, what leads to them and how do you avoid them? Thanks!

Comments

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    High temp cooks, 400+ always "burp" your egg, lift the lid half an inch, close it, lift it an inch, close it than open it. A flashback occurs when the flammable gases of combustion suddenly come into contact with air. You tube egg flashback and see for yourself. Even with burping, a 650+ fire will usually have a little waft of flames come out as you open her up.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Flashbacks are when you wake up screaming because your mind took you back to that blind date you had that weighed 300 pounds and ate a week's worth of wages at dinner.

In the BGE world, it's when you have a very hot fire that's oxygen deprived because the dome is down.  You open up the dome too quickly, and the rush of air causes a big poof of fire that singes your arms, hands, and eyebrows.  To avoid this, "burp" the Egg by raising the dome about 2 inches and letting the air come in.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• balliardi
    Flashbacks are when you wake up screaming because your mind took you back to that blind date you had that weighed 300 pounds and ate a week's worth of wages at dinner.

In the BGE world, it's when you have a very hot fire that's oxygen deprived because the dome is down.  You open up the dome too quickly, and the rush of air causes a big poof of fire that singes your arms, hands, and eyebrows.  To avoid this, "burp" the Egg by raising the dome about 2 inches and letting the air come in.

LOL!

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Flashbacks are when you wake up screaming because your mind took you back to that blind date you had that weighed 300 pounds and ate a week's worth of wages at dinner..

:))
    Sometimes you do this, and you can still get a little flash which crisps your gasket, and hair on your knuckles.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Once I got mini-flaskbacks out the bottom vent. 
  • Especially bad when you choke down a hot fire. Like if you are doing steaks and you hard sear then choke down to get some smoke on them. If you were to just open the dome without ventilating (or "burping" in egg parlance)  under this circumstance, you would need a change of underwear and most likely need to shave your left arm to match your right as the hair grows back :). The more your fire is looking for oxygen, the more violent the flashback. Worst one I ever had was when I did steaks for a group and one guy liked his steak "well done". I am unable to comprehend "well done" so I pulled his off to early and choked down the egg to go eat. He then asked me to fully carbonize his already grey hockey puck so I went to throw it back on the grill. I was in a hurry and trying to get food out so I ran out there and threw the lid open....I'm sure it was hilarious for others to see but it actually exploded and I ended up on the ground (Because i was scared, not actually knocked down). Definitely more scary than truly dangerous but it will definitely singe your arms/eyebrows and can make quite a ruckus as well. It can also definitely happen with hot fires that aren't choked down as well but I've found those to be less violent. the flames kind of roll out the front instead of actually exploding. This will still burn your hand, gasket, and I've found make you drop your dome handle very quickly. It's probably not great to drop your dome lid when it's 3/4 open- especially if it happens often. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 455
    Here is a video showing what to do http://www.youtube.com/v/QSrLeWwtH2c&start=202?
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • maxPowers
    maxPowers Posts: 38
    And here is a video showing what happens if you don't: 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBZRFbSaDU&t=5m45s
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    What Cen-Tex Smoker said. Close the lid and bottom vent on a really hot fire. Open the dome several minutes later. Notice a big rush of smoke as the dome lifts, and maybe small geysers of smoke from the bottom vent. Think to yourself, "Oh! Sh_____!"  as a ball of blue flame explodes.

Check for eyebrows.

And it can happen with any really roaring fire, even with "burping," but not nearly as bad.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    can even happen multiple times in a row at 350-400.  doesn't need to be roaring.  in fact, the most persistent ones occur around 400 or so, full load of fresh lump, and soon after lighting the egg.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Good times. it scared the hell out of me when the big one hit!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123

Yep...I've forgotten to burp it a few times and lost some or a bunch of the hair on the underside of my right arm (which I was using to lift the dome by the handle).
  • Village Idiot
    If you don't burp, it's not a real big deal.  I didn't burp this evening, and only got a minor burn.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Hahahahahahahahahah. =)) Hahahahahahaa
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I award the Order of the Singed Hair, with Silver Oak Leaves.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Dude! Freaking Hilarious. nice work.

• balliardi
    Jesus H Christ! I need to watch out!
  • tazcrash
    edited April 2012
    "tis but a flesh wound." 

Walk it off

;))
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Village Idiot
    "tis but a flesh wound." 

Walk it off

;))
    Taz,

It was my face that caught the brunt, but my wife thinks it's an improvement.  
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Burping is not the way to go. Open both vents for a minute and then open.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lex
    Lex Posts: 6
    I had a flash come out of the bottom vent one night, quite dramatic when it is dark out... anyone else experience this? now I make sure to keep my pugs out of the way when cooking
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Bottom vent and top in the same whooomph.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I did a lot of research before buying my Egg. I saw the flashback videos. I burpped my Egg every single time, at any temperature. Except for this weekend when making pizzas I came out to find that my thermo had wrapped around to the 300. Of course I jerked the lid open at high speed then watched in slow motion as hell erupted.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Rub some butter on it VI - that will help -- or wait - have you thought about Mustard....

Cookin in Texas
  • tazcrash
    @boatbum
    OK. That made me laugh lit loud, and got a "will you put that phone down and go to sleep".
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • It made me laugh too. Bastids!