Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time to post pics...some say not tue unless there's pics

forty_crk
forty_crk Posts: 52
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've been cooking on my egg for 6 years.  I normally do low and slows during the day.  This was my first attepmt at over the night...and w/ the bbq guru.  Woke up to a mishap w/ fire as previously stated on another thread.  4lb brisket (I know small) and a 8lb butt.  My goal was origianlly to cook them at 220 till done.  A friend of mine cooks one the best butts I have ever had...he cooks em at 200 (w/ a guru) for 28-30 hours.  I know that is not necassary.  I just started out attempting it.  I wound up at 250.  I pulled meat at 180.

To me I over cooked the meat or it was to dry.  No I did not wrap in foil.  But when I reheated the meat I wrapped it foil and added some marinades to help steam it.  Came out okay.  Eaters liked it a lot!!  They did not know all the issues.

Cook and learn... 

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana

Comments

• KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    edited April 2012

Try cooking the butt to 195-205 next time. Pulling at 180, it might actually be underdone.

• forty_crk
    Thanks- it was above 180 but not quite 190.  I kinda got lost in the cook and forgot all I had ever read.  I wasn't pleased with the results.  I made some notes while and after the cook.  Lesson #1 always keep plenty of good lump...don't start a low and slow cook w/ small lump or the leftovers in a bag.
  • You got it. The fire is key. Also, king's right. i go 200 for PP most of the time. 180 is a little underdone and can be tough. I've never had good luck with those small briskets. they always trim them too much and there is really no way to keep them moist in the time it takes to make them tender. Plus, all the flavor is in the fat. When it's all trimmed out, they are tough to make flavorful. I just posted a freaking novel on how I do briskets (fire included) so dig through there if you are incapacitated, in prison, or have nothing better to do for an hour or so.  :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • forty_crk
    cen-tex thanks- I saved your essay
  • cen-tex thanks- I saved your essay
    I think I could have actually cooked a brisket and shot a video in the time it took me to blabber all that stuff. It works for me though. 
  • forty_crk

you are right about teh small brisket.  The wife was going to the grocery store (while I was at work) so I told her what to pick up.  I KNOW better than to criticize what she got...but I kinda beat around the bush and said wow this brisket is really trim.  She replied the others had a lot of fat on them and they were huge.  I will just pickup the meat next time or politley say get a FAT one!

Later

• forty_crk
    I was pleased with the reheat and how I was able to revive it...I didn't think to take pics...guest where over to eat.  They just thought it was the drippings.  Actually it was melted parkay, apple cider, italian dressing and hint of worchester for color...ha
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @forty_cry, my wife did a very similar thing the first time I wanted to make a brisket in my old vertical. I drove to the local grocery store, spoke with the butcher, and bought a pound of beef fat to lay on top.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • forty_crk
    taz- makes sense.  My wife would prolly never buy another brisket if I said much so I played it off.  I knew from the start it was going to be a tough cook.
  • @forty_cry, my wife did a very similar thing the first time I wanted to make a brisket in my old vertical. I drove to the local grocery store, spoke with the butcher, and bought a pound of beef fat to lay on top.
    That's a cool idea.
  • you are right about teh small brisket.  The wife was going to the grocery store (while I was at work) so I told her what to pick up.  I KNOW better than to criticize what she got...but I kinda beat around the bush and said wow this brisket is really trim.  She replied the others had a lot of fat on them and they were huge.  I will just pickup the meat next time or politley say get a FAT one!

Later

You are a wise man. 
  • forty_crk

Some how the opposite sex either makes us wise or we repeat and do dumb...I pick my battles!  She doesn't cook so she doesn't understand.  Well she will cook every now and then.  When she does its good.  But I am respsonsible for my lard arse phsyique!  And I take full credit!