Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers and Brats

Options
Sandi_k
Sandi_k Posts: 52
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, we did our third low-temp cook today, hoping it will help the gasket seat.

1 lb ground turkey, mixed with garlic salt, an egg, 2 slices of bread, and some A-1. Rolled and pattied - yield 6. Yummy, moist, delicious - cooked for 6 minutes per side at 350, direct heat.

The brats took another 20 minutes or so, and DH loved them too. We made some extras, so we can nibble on them for lunch throughout the week.

Weather was sunny and warm, so we had our first lunch out on the deck for the year.

I cannot wait for summer.  :)

Sandi

Comments

• Lmae
    Lmae Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh good! You're new too? :) Our Egg is coming tomorrow. We plan on doing burgers, dogs & kielbasa. Seems like good low temp cooking. What else have you done? Looking for some ideas for the gasket break- in. Do you know how many low temps are suggested?
  • Sandi_k
    Sandi_k Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi Lmae, yep, had our egg a little more than a week.

We've done shrimp skewers, salmon, and burgers/hot dogs/brats thus far. The salmon was OUTSTANDING.

The reading I've done so far says 5-6 cooks, or about 8-10 hours of low heat. Which makes sense, I suppose, since we're heating up for at least 15 minutes before putting on the food, and it takes another 20-30 minutes to cool down completely, once shut down.

If you like salmon, here's how we did ours:

Take cedar planks, and soak in water for at least 1 hour before use.

Take the salmon, and rinse it well. Pat dry, and cut into serving sized pieces. (Our filet was about 18" long, and sliced into 7 nice-sized filets).

In medium bowl, combine 1/2C soy sauce, 1/2C olive oil, 1/4C honey, and 1/4C of freshly grated ginger.

Whisk marinade ingredients together, then place filets into bowl, with skin side up. Marinade for at least one hour (and longer is better).

Get Egg started, and up to 350. We took the soaked planks and baked them for 5 minutes at 350. Then
    spray the planks with Pam, and load up the fish, skin side down. We cooked
    at 350 for 25 minutes, then let rest before serving. There was no
    problem with a too-strong cedar flavor, and we didn't have to flip the
    fish, and the skin didn't permeate the fish either. We did remove the
    skin before serving...

We served with brown rice, and some veggies cooked in a veggie basket on the Egg - asparagus drizzled with olive oil.

Very tasty!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    OK, Sandi and Lmae.  You two are new, so you get a pass this time.

Rule 1: No pictures? It didn't happen.  It was just a fig newton of your imagination.  
    (:|

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Guys if your gasket is going to bit the big one 30 hours is not going to help. Cook what you want and enjoy the egg, forget that gasket. It is going to fail, sorry. At that time you put on another or go without. Welcome to the party.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh good! You're new too? :) Our Egg is coming tomorrow. We plan on doing burgers, dogs & kielbasa. Seems like good low temp cooking. What else have you done? Looking for some ideas for the gasket break- in. Do you know how many low temps are suggested?
    i don't think there are any true suggestions but I've worked with my share of gaskets and mine last 2+ years normally.They never fall off, I just replace when they get a little worn. I think a good rule of thumb is to do 2-3 cooks at 350-400 and then maybe crank it up this weekend if you are feeling the need. I've found the retailers don't do a good enough job of telling people to take it easy for a few cooks but if you do, it will help your gasket last much longer (and not end up in your food the first time you cook a steak). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Guys if your gasket is going to bit the big one 30 hours is not going to help. Cook what you want and enjoy the egg, forget that gasket. It is going to fail, sorry. At that time you put on another or go without. Welcome to the party.
    Mine just don't fail like that. They last years and I use the old BGE stock felt gaskets. I've burned up a few, but overall, they last a long time under all cooking scenarios. Clean living, I guess :))
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mine just don't fail like that. They last years and I use the old BGE stock felt gaskets. I've burned up a few, but overall, they last a long time under all cooking scenarios. Clean living, I guess :))
    Of course I'm also the guy who can't keep a $60 thermometer working for longer than 6 months so what do I know?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Some gaskets do just "fall off".  Mine did.  And this was after about a 1/2 year of use.  I think "seasoning" the gasket for a few cooks (to make sure it doesn't fall off) is somewhere between overrated and not true at all. One day I opened the lid and half my gasket was hanging down from the lid.  It was in an area where it had formerly gotten burnt a little bit.
    I replaced it with a Rutland and now I never have to worry about the gasket again.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• patsboosta
    Options
    My first cook was at 650 for a couple of steaks.  I have done several high temp cooks since and the original gasket is holding strong.  I have a friend who said Pizza is the gasket killer.  His theory is that the stone directs more of the heat directly at the gasket since it is at the same level.  Who knows............
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I lost 2 new gaskets within 3 days by going over 600, and 1 was a pizza cook. I had another fall off in the 2nd week after a hi-temp.

My take on it is that the inside edge of the gasket absorbs a lot of soot and grease, and becomes air tight. It forms a better seal. After that, assuming the dome remains properly seated, it just slowly burns away from the inside.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Some gaskets do just "fall off".  Mine did.  And this was after about a 1/2 year of use.  I think "seasoning" the gasket for a few cooks (to make sure it doesn't fall off) is somewhere between overrated and not true at all. One day I opened the lid and half my gasket was hanging down from the lid.  It was in an area where it had formerly gotten burnt a little bit.
    I replaced it with a Rutland and now I never have to worry about the gasket again.

I agree with choke.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    separate gasket issues have been confused over time. one is adhesive failure (falling off).  the other is the gasket failing by sticking together.  seasoning (basically, getting it dirty) will help with the second, but not the first
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Could be right about that. I've had good luck with mine but every one of these critters has a life of their own.I had one fall off and that was the day i Brought it home and cooked steaks at 700. I have been careful since to not cook at all for 24-48 hours after replacing one and not to cook hot for a week or so. Could all be coincidental but they last for me.

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Pizzas and paella were the gasket killers for me. If your first gasket is toast within a year, call the mothership for a free hi-temp replacement.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe