Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Pork Shoulder Advice

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I wanted to do pulled pork for Sunday dinner and I picked up a 10 pound boneless pork shoulder from Costco. I really wanted to get a bone in one, but....next time. Anyways when I went to put the rub and mustard on I was surprised to see that the shoulder was split in two and was sliced and diced pretty good. I put them both on my roasting rack and tried to stuff the little mangled pieces underneath the main portion. I'm guess now that my time will be way different as I was expecting to cook one 10 pound shoulder, but now I'm doing two 5 pounders. Plus, since their cut up I'd expect them to go even faster. Any suggestions on this one? Now I'm not even sure when to put these on the grill. I was going to start the 10 pounder around 8pm so I could bank a few hours to rest in the cooler.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    What cook temp? At 250 they will probably take between 7 and 9 hours but that's just an estimate. Cook them to 200 internal in the fattest part. Sounds like you just have extra area for bark. Should be great. Good luck.
    Since I am from the South, I assume when you say dinner you mean Sunday lunch. If you mean supper, you can cook them during the day tomorrow.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • yzzi
    Options
    We are doing supper Sunday, so I'll just get up early and put them on. Hopefully they'll have time to rest a bit but not the end of the world if not. 
    Dunedin, FL
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Costco sells shoulder in 2 packs, and they are boneless. I like the bone in butts, but truth be told, I can't really taste a difference in the end product.
  • yzzi
    Options
    They did turn out great and took about 9 hours. I will definitely buy the costco shoulders again. Thanks for the advice.
    Dunedin, FL