Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcockadvice

Options
eggnited
eggnited Posts: 94
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Okay...so it's about to happen...my first spatchcock chicken. Heck...this is my first chicken cook on the egg and per my usual MO...I'm asking a few last minute questions. First of all..chicken is naked in the fridge since yesterday. I'm thinking of rubbing it down...sensually of course...with some olive oil....then dusting it with seasoning. Next...planning on using my Maveric 732 for the first time....trying to set for 160 degree breast. I plan to cook at about 350-375 for as long as it takes. I plan to do this indirect with apple wood chips. So that's the details...here are my questions. Should I use a drip tray on the plate setter or just go au natural? Am I smart to rub with olive oil before seasoning? Okay...and the probe should go into the breast yes?...but what part of breast and how deep? After you finish giggling you can answer. Thanks! :D

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I just did two 3.5 lb chickens today. 400° direct just above the felt line to 165°. Took 1 hr 15 min.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• eggnited
    Options
    Looks awesome big guy...my only concern is that I don't have a raised rig...so my grate would be too low...or so I assume. So...I figured indirect. I am concerned about the smoke point of the olive oil but believe I saw it used at Fredsmusicandbbq on a video of his...and I wonder if it will be a good flavor to go with the cluck and squeal seasoning. Once I get an adjustable rig I will go direct. I'm close to the lighting ceremony.
  • bigguy136
    Options

Do you have anything to use as a spacer? I had some metal bar 'drops' (Ø1" x 2" long) and stacked them two high until I got my height. Almost anything can be used to raise your grid.

I used Plowboys Yardbird and mesquite smoke.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• eggnited
    Options
    I really don't have anything laying around...so I'm gonna try indirect...wish me luck!  I will post pics with results later.
  • bigguy136
    Options

Good luck and keep us posted. Any way you cook a chicken on the egg will be great.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I use indirect and a drip pan to keep from messing up the place setter.  I use my maverick 732 in the thickest part of the breast and away from bone and cartilage. But hey, a messed up place setter just adds
    character. It will turn out great. Let us see some pics.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Good luck but I'm guessing that you won't get the crispiest of skin with it that far down.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • eggnited
    Options
    Chicken went pretty well but not without some extra effort. I was able to maintain grid temps of 360 to 365 until the Maveric said the breast was at 160. The chicken was crispy...but not as crispy as would normally be desired. Problem came when I got the chicken in the house and let it rest for about 5 minutes. I cut the chicken in half and found small amounts of blood where the breasts connect. I also found a tiny bit at the joint between leg and thigh. I hurried back out to the grill...opened it up and put the pieces back on for a little more heat. I let them sizzle taking the temp up to 400+ before checking. I used the instant read thermometer to check temps and finally got the breasts to 170. The weirdest part was when I checked the breasts with the instant read just after the first removal/cutting. The breast read 160+ in the biggest part of the breast meat but was about 145 towards where the two breasts would be joined. In the end this chicken was crizpy...especially the wings..and the meat was so moist and tender it was like butter. Oh....and I did go indirect...just put a light layer of foil on top of the plate setter. Lessons learned: Go to 170 with the Maveric...then verify with the Thermapen. Also, next time I will cook more towards 400 for a crispier skin. All in all very nice first spatch experience. Thanks guys! First pic taken just before initial removal. Second pick taken after giving pieces a longer cook time.
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Nice looking cook. Congrats. There will be many more chickens to come.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Looks good to me.
    Eggo in N. MS