Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using CO2 to extinguish coals

Options
RichardBronosky
RichardBronosky Posts: 213
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know that many eggheads are also homebrewers. Homebrewers trend to have access to a CO2 tank. So, I'm surprised I haven't heard about anyone trying to close the bottom vent, open the top vent, and fill the egg with CO2 to extinguish the coals. This should be much faster than waiting for the coals to burn themselves out.

Is this sound?

Has anyone tried or heard of this?
I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012

Comments

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    Don't do that you could shatter the egg! The Co2 is Sub zero temp! Imagine trowing ice on hot cold!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    What Shawn said.  Closing the Egg up depletes the oxygen almost immediately, it'll just take a bit for everything to cool down.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    edited April 2012
    Options

If you let the CO2 in slowly via a tube vs straight fromt the bottle the temperature differential shouldn't be that big a deal, however the "savings" in charcoal is wayyyy less than the cost of CO2 around here.  Plus, at least for me, it is a pain to get my CO2 bottles filled, the guy who does mine has strange hours and no nights/weekends.  So if I waste CO2, I end up having to take off work just to get it filled when I need it. 

That being said, I'm getting ready for May 5, my first brew of the year, introducing some new brewers to homebrewing on my 10 gallon system, I will also be smoking some butts on the large BGE for the new brewers!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i have poured ice from a cooler directly into an egg.

come on boys.  grow a damn pair.

:))

that was at a football game.  but i did it to a large at an eggfest too.

you guys ever cook in the rain?

:))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    edited April 2012
    Options
    OP, as others have said, when you close your egg, the coals will burn any oxygen almost immediately.  However they will stay hot for some time.  The CO2 isn't doing you any good, save it for the beer ;)
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    1. I would never dream of pouring water into my egg, @strike.
    2. The CO2 that comes out of my regulator (at 30lb) is barely sub-room temperature. It is certainly not sub-zero.

I paid $11.50 for my 20lb tank last month, and I refill it only once per year. I don't think of it as valuable. I only use it for making club soda. I haven't brewed in 12 years. :-S
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    There's no issue with thermal shock. The very reason these things last thru winter freeze thaw cycles and when it starts raining is the reason it's not as outrageous as it seems

Heard from the horse's mouth that when they were testig fireboxes for cracking, they'd cram a leaf blower in there to get it roaring at1800 plus, and then douse it in water

If anything, it would compress, not explode. And if you can compress a circular cross section of ceramic to the point where it cracks, have a ball. Try crushing an egg shell in your two hands.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MeAndTheDog
    Options
    I love my egg but I'm ANAL about the corny kegs. I would rather buy another bag of lump than have the home brew flat. Force carbonation eats up the tank by itself. Plenty of trees in my neighbors yard to make lump with B-)
    Conway, S.C.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    @stike you sir are braver than I, being a newb I had a panick attack yesterday taking the plate setter and drip tray out of my egg yesterday when it spilt over and I heard that "shuuush" of coals being extinguished. Lol

FWIW co2 is liquid in the tank, and yes very cold and under extreme pressure. By the time it turns to a gas to come out of a regulator, it is much closer to room temp.

IME, those dampers do shut down a fire pretty quickly in there.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!