Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Native Texans Only - NOBODY else can open !!!!

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just kidding.  :)

I thought I'd try another recipe from the Homesick Texan.  Tex-Mex Cheese Enchiladas with Chili con Carne Sauce.

Excellent !  Pam says it is better than any restaurant she can remember.  I have decided recently that you cannot make enchiladas or chili without going back to the primevel source - the dried chile pepper.  In this case, 6 ancho chiles were needed.

Deseed and hydrate the anchos.

Saute onions and garlic.  This makes it an official BGE cook.

Brown the hamburger meat.

Mix blended chili sauce, onions, hamburger meat and spices.  Assemble enchiladas and bake for 15 minutes.  I didn't want to fire up the large Egg for 15 minutes so I did it in the oven.  My way of helping the EPA out.

Plated and ready to eat with a margarita.

Feliz Domingo de Tex-Mex !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    Options
    Dang that's a good looking spread! That recipe looks delicious VI. You're sick in the head....all the way from the place mats to the light fixtures...to the food!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    where'd you get that authentic Tex-Mex wok?
    :))  (i kill me)

looks great. nice pics too
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    That looks great, will be making fajitas soon!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    @ Eggnited.  Grácias.

@Stike.  You looked.  You cannot be trusted.  

Mikey.  Pics required on fajitas.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    what makes you think i'm not a native texan? my good looks, above-average intelligence, or my modesty?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Excellent! Regarding the ancho chili sauce, I just bought some ancho and other dried chilies to make homemade chili powder. I didn't realize you could buy a truckload of dried peppers for very little $$$. What do you do with them after you re-hydrate them? Mix in a blender?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    what makes you think i'm not a native texan? my good looks, above-average intelligence, or my modesty?
    Well, you do have quite a knack for ****.  Perhaps, I was wrong.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    @stike Lol,

@ Village Idiot, I figure I have family in league city, so that should be close enough.
    Looks delicious btw,
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Excellent! Regarding the ancho chili sauce, I just bought some ancho and other dried chilies to make homemade chili powder. I didn't realize you could buy a truckload of dried peppers for very little $$$. What do you do with them after you re-hydrate them? Mix in a blender?
    Yes, in this case, you mix the chiles, onions, and spices like cumin, oregano, allspice and water in the blender until smooth.  Than, put it in a pan with the hamburger meat and beef broth and simmer for 30 minutes.

When I make chili powder, I also hydrate them and put them in a blender with spices.  Usually, I will then dehydrate them and grind them for powder.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    @stike Lol,

@ Village Idiot, I figure I have family in league city, so that should be close enough.
    Looks delicious btw,
    Thanks Taz.  They're only 30-45 minutes away.  Have them come on up.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    From Indiana but dang that looks so good.......
    Large BGE

• Village Idiot
    Options
    From Indiana but dang that looks so good.......
    Well, we call that North Texas.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Yes, in this case, you mix the chiles, onions, and spices like cumin, oregano, allspice and water in the blender until smooth.  Than, put it in a pan with the hamburger meat and beef broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
    When I make chili powder, I also hydrate them and put them in a blender with spices.  Usually, I will then dehydrate them and grind them for powder.

Thanks for the advice! I can't wait to make the chili sauce.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Man that would make Beli proud.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Eggbertsdad.  Here is the recipe.

6 dried Ancho chiles
    1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
    1 medium Onion , yellow, chopped
    2 cloves Garlic, chopped
    ½ tablespoon Cumin , ground
    ½ teaspoon Oregano, dried
    ¼ teaspoon Allspice
    ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
    ¼ pound Ground beef
    2 cups Beef broth
    Salt & Pepper, to taste
    ---for the enchiladas -----
    1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
    12 Corn tortillas
    4 cups Chedder cheese, grated
    ½ medium Onion , diced
    1.In a dry skillet heated on high, toast the ancho chiles on each side for about 10 seconds or just until they start to puff. Fill the skillet with enough water to cover chiles. Leave the heat on until the water begins to boil and then turn off the heat and let the chiles soak until soft, about 30 minutes. Once hydrated, discard the soaking water and rinse the chiles. Place in a blender.
    2.In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil or lard and cook the onions, occasionally stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Place cooked onions and garlic into the blender, along with the cumin, oregano, allspice, cinnamon, and 1 cup water. Blend until smooth.
    3.In the same pot that you ted to cook the onions and garlic, on medium heat brown the ground beef, stilling occasionally, about 10 minutes. If you like, you can drain the extra fat once the meat is browned. Add the chile puree and the beef broth, heat on high until boiling, and then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes, adjust seasoning and add salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste.
    4.To make the enchiladas, first preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a large baking dish. In a skillet, heat up the oil or lard on medium low heat. One at a time, heat up the tortillas in the hot oil. Keep them wrapped in a cloth or tortilla warmer until all the tortillas are heated.
    5.Take a heated tortilla and use tongs to dip it into the sauce. Shake off most of the sauce, but make sure that it's moist enough to be pliable. Lay the tortilla on a plate or clean cooking surface, add ¼ cup of the grated cheese down the center of it, along with a few of the diced onions. Roll the tortilla. Place rolled enchilada in the greased baking dish (seam side down) and repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining great cheese and diced onions. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbling.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Man that would make Beli proud.

:))  No, Beli would want white cheese.  Yellow cheese is Tex-Mex.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Thanks, VI!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm half Texan, my wife is native Texas, and my son will be a Texas. I took the liberty and opened anyway. I'm glad I did. Looks good my friend. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I'm half Texan, my wife is native Texas, and my son will be a Texas. I took the liberty and opened anyway. I'm glad I did. Looks good my friend. 
    Anybody in the service is a Native Texan in my book, my friend.  Enjoy.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Nice, as usual VI. Looks like the homesick Texan has some nice recipes.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh hell yes. I'll be trying that one. Awesome!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    VI:
    Sorry but I'm not buying it!! You are only doing the photo shoot and eating, your maid is doing the cooking!!
    :):)

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    VI:
    Sorry but I'm not buying it!! You are only doing the photo shoot and eating, your maid is doing the cooking!!
    :):)

Felipe
    ¿ Por qué no ?  Ich bin ein Tejano.

Wait a minute, I'm getting my languages mixed up.  
    8-}

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That looks great, VI! Hope my opinion counts...I'm only 3rd generation Texan. Glad to see that the sauce had plenty of meat in it. That's the way I like it. Too many places have no meat in their sauce, what's up with that? I've been meaning to check out that cookbook, your post brings me one step closer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

I guess since I am 4th generation Texan Im allowed to try to replicate what you have created. My Yankee Inlaws will be here this weekend and I am about to take them for an adventure with the Egg.

I send them pictures all the time of whats cooking and they are on the way here now to get the goods.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.