Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Man Night

paulheels
paulheels Posts: 457
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Man night at the house. Wings. Big steaks. And beer. Pics later Here's the Beer Box tho
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    7.62 mm (NATO round).  That's the round from my era.  Travis shoots the girlie .223's.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• paulheels
    Another. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    7.62 mm (NATO round).  That's the round from my era.  Travis shoots the girlie .223's.
    7.62, .223 heck, I'll just haul out my .30-06 Garand.

I just bought a .45-70.  Low and slow, and any T-Rex's in the neighborhood better look out.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @paulheels I see you splurged on the beer. PBR! Your buddies will thank you as they sit on the crapper in the morning.
    :))

My buddies and I long range deer hunt. We were firing at a deer at 2300 yards this year. We figured the bullet had about 60 feet of drop. We adjusted for windage and the drop, but they decided that the gun wasn't powerful enough so they are having a custom .50 cal made. I can't wait to shoot it! Sure glad I don't have to pay for it though.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited March 2012
    Man night at the house. Wings. Big steaks. And beer. Pics later Here's the Beer Box tho
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Not even close to enough beer.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    The irony of this picture is you have Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA's in an ammo box lol!

• paulheels
    As usual. No food pics. I forget. Wings were good, steaks were great. I had some more beer in another location. But we were given specific instructions not to be snockered. Plus I had my 14 month old asleep in her room.
    I have been meaning to diddy this thing up for over a year. Figured I would just start using it. Hot about four more. It actually made a decent cooler.
    Don't be pickin on my beer. Had Old Milwaulkee 16oz in the other cooler. Real men can drink the beers tht make everyone else sick, and have no effects.
  • cortguitarman
    I didn't say I didn't drink pbr. When I'm looking for value, its my go to beer.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sounds like a good night Paul. Sucks our Heels didn't pull through in the tourney. How is the patio holding up??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    @paulheels I see you splurged on the beer. PBR! Your buddies will thank you as they sit on the crapper in the morning.
    :))

My buddies and I long range deer hunt. We were firing at a deer at 2300 yards this year. We figured the bullet had about 60 feet of drop. We adjusted for windage and the drop, but they decided that the gun wasn't powerful enough so they are having a custom .50 cal made. I can't wait to shoot it! Sure glad I don't have to pay for it though.

It's ignorant crap like this that give real sportsmen a bad name. Dumbest scheit I've read in sometime.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    SandBilly - Can't tell if you are joking or not, but I got a kick out of Cort's humor.  Made me laugh, well done.  Sit on the crapper - good show.
  • SandBilly
    Do I think it's funny they shoot at deer at 2300 yards, without the first clue, hoping they are lucky enough to hit one in the guts? No, I don't think that's funny.
  • IrishDevl
    OH, my bad, thought you were referring to the beer comment. Got it.  
  • IrishDevl
    Some peeps get offended when someone makes fun of their favorite beer.  I am not much of a hunting man myself, so I didn't pay much attention to that. 
  • SandBilly
    Laffin, no big deal, don't talk about my beer either...
  • cortguitarman
    @Sandbilly, I'm not sure you understand the entire setup. We have very high powered binoculars that we can use to track all of our shots. We have NEVER left a deer wounded in the woods. If we don't have a clean shot, we don't take it. At any given time, we have 5 sets of eyes on the Target and that doesn't include the shooter. 2300 yards or 50 yards, what is the difference. We are very respectful of other hunters and the wildlife. Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to clarify.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    My better judgement tells me not to enter this discussion, but ........

I cannot be convinced that even a Marine sniper can calculate a shot at 2300 yards that would guarantee a neck shot vs. a gut shot, or worse.  I had a customer once that came in to work on Monday, laughing about how he'd shot both legs off a deer at the hocks, and how funny he looked trying to run away with only half legs.  I let him have it so bad I lost the account.  And, I was glad I did.

Long range shooting should be left to targets and cameras.  What are you trying to prove?  To me, the art of hunting (if there is one) is to outsmart the animal and be able to stalk, and approach him without detection to ensure a clean shot.  That's what the Indians did.  That's what our forefathers did.  When I hunted, I only used a flintlock.  

If you want to do that, join the Army and hunt men that can shoot back.'Nuff said.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• cortguitarman
    Sorry if I've offended anyone. We all have our opinions and no matter how much we try to change one another's minds sometimes our opinions are too strong. I'm on this forum to have some fun and learn how to better use my egg.
    @Village Idiot, your customer was an idiot and deserved to get an ear full. I would never act in such a manner. My intention of my initial post was in relation to the ammo box conversation. I'm not here to argue and therefore, I'm done.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    @Sandbilly, I'm not sure you understand the entire setup. We have very high powered binoculars that we can use to track all of our shots. We have NEVER left a deer wounded in the woods. If we don't have a clean shot, we don't take it. At any given time, we have 5 sets of eyes on the Target and that doesn't include the shooter. 2300 yards or 50 yards, what is the difference. We are very respectful of other hunters and the wildlife. Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to clarify.

2300 yds or 50 yds what is the difference?   How much time you spend studying the drift & trajectory tables for your given bullet?   Dude, you and this entire craptastic mentality are ever so wrong in believing that 2300 yd plunking at game animals is in any way sporting or ethical.   In 2300 yds a couple mph difference in wind speed will mean the difference between a gut shot or heart shot deer.  At 2300 yds a bullet starting out around 3300 fps will lack the speed to enact the designed expansion characteristics or are you lobbing out there mil-ball ammo so it doesn't matter.

So how is it you guys are determining whether a shot is "clean".    If your range estimation/laser is off by even 50 yds at that range you will shoot over or under.   How long does it take you to get on the trail of a wounded animal from 2300 yds away?   Many gut shot animals won't leave any type of blood trail so how you gonna track it down?  

There are a slew of TV programs on the cable channels these days showing guys popping elk, bears etc at 800+ yards and these shows seem to have glorified the endeavor in the eyse of guys who lack the skill and $$$$$ equipment  to cleanly hit the kill zone at even 500 yards in a 15 mph wind.    The whole thing seems a foolish undertaking that reflects a lack of concern for the future of hunting.

• SandBilly
    Sorry if I've offended anyone. We all have our opinions and no matter how much we try to change one another's minds sometimes our opinions are too strong. I'm on this forum to have some fun and learn how to better use my egg.
    @Village Idiot, your customer was an idiot and deserved to get an ear full. I would never act in such a manner. My intention of my initial post was in relation to the ammo box conversation. I'm not here to argue and therefore, I'm done.
    Opinions and facts are two different things. Most hunting bullets go subsonic at around 1200 yds.What range finder do you own, that ranged that 2300 yds? Bottom line is, you and you're buddies are way off base, and you keep telling yourself you are right?

• SandBilly
    Oh yeah, and as far as VI customer deserving an earfull, you do even more...grow up, use you're head. This scheit ain't rocket science.
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    edited April 2012
    Okay...can't resist this topic. Perhaps I miss something in the debate over what is...and is not sport...but I believe anyone who is shooting an animal with a hi-tech weapon is simply food gathering. (Not talking bow hunters here)The animal has little or no chance. With this said, i don't have a problem with food gathering as long as it isn't sadistic or cruel. I agree with VI....anyone who laughs at an animal in pain...one they just needlessly butchered is a sorry sob. Okay...off my soap box...nuff said.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Back to the beer.. I was not making fun of the beer, I like Torpedo IPAs! They're about 2 hours north of me. Also anyone on east coast Sierra Nevada is opening a new brewery in Asheville, NC.
  • cortguitarman
    I won't win this arguement, so as I said, I'm not here to argue. I'm done. That is as grown up as I can be.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Come on guys, let people on here say what they want. It is a free forum, I was having a great time reading the thread until the bitching started, sounds like a bunch of girls. Paul looked like a good time, Cort I personally do not hunt by choice, I have too many other expensive hobbies and I know that would be another, but I enjoyed the story, which is why I come to this forum. By the way, no more Turbo Butts or me, low and slow is the way. Everyone on this thread have a great Sunday, and good health to all!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Come on guys, let people on here say what they want. It is a free forum
    Mikey,

When someone brags about what others consider animal abuse from uncontrolled killing and maiming for fun, then others are going to say what they want also.  My big disappointment in this is that, even though he has gotten 100% adamant negative feedback from hunters and non-hunters alike who have provided sound scientific reasoning from ballistics and meteorological data, cortguitarman has shown no indication of reassessing his blood "sport".  Instead, he has only said that he is grown up enough to not argue about it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    In a perfect world, hunting would be for the food on our table. We also have the "sport" of hunting and I can almost understand this part of it. I have a great friend that is a hunter, and enjoys it very much and eats what he kills. He would also give his last shirt for someone in need. I would like to think that there is not one person that enjoys cooking as much as I do on this forum that would abuse, maim or kill anything for "fun" only. I do not think that is what Cort meant by his remarks. Do we take consideration for the slaughter of animals for our dining experiences?? I should just hit the delete button on this subject but I just want you guys to understand that most hunters are good people too and I hardly think Cort is going around shooting animals to lie around to rot.
  • cortguitarman
    I've eaten every deer we've killed. I've never let one lay in the woods. The rifles are custom built rifles made for this. These are not off the shelf rifles. Bullets are loaded by hand to ensure they have enough grains of powder to reach the Target with appropriate velocity. The range finder used was a military grade anti aircraft range finder. It does not use lasers.

I want to be done with this conversation, but will not let others bash me without knowing the facts. I am a good person who loves the outdoors and I love hunting. I shot a deer last year that had QB arrow broken off inside of it. I hardly think that my "bloodsport" is more inhumane than lettuce that animal suffer with an arrow in its side. I am not doing anything illegal. When I shoot a deer, I tag it and I am done for the season. I harvest game with the sole intention of eating it.

I'll admit that I was bragging about the rifle being used. Which by the way uses Amax bullets designed to go through and not mushroom on impact like the commercial bullets I buy for my 30-06. My friends and I have spent years studying bullets and proper loads. I am not a ballistics expert, but know enough. If you've got a problem with hunting then join he peeta forum.

Let's face it, when the cow was put into a cattle shoot to have a bolt slammed into its skull to render it brain dead didn't have much of a chance to get away did he?

I just ask that before some of you pass judgement, do some research first. The grown up thing to do is to say what you have to say and be done with it. That is what I've been trying to do. @VI I'm sorry that you disagree, but as I said earlier, sometimes we just won't see eye to eye with everyone.

Thanks Moody for your comments. You are absolutely right. I am not out to maim animals and let them lay.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Village Idiot
    We agree to disagree about the sportsmanship and humaneness of it.

Let the thread die (no pun intended).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• cortguitarman
    Agreed. VI, I respect your cooking expertise on the egg and hope we can continue to learn from each other. Can we be friends again? :)
    Mark Annville, PA