Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza & gasket char!

tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK yesterday we got my pizza stone from a company called Old Stone Bakery. It's a 16"er that is over 1/2" thick and has 1/2" thick legs to raise it. I gave it a test run in the oven at 550 for 30 minutes yesterday with no issue. Today was the first run with the new stone. Rather than mess with dough, and sauce recipes, we bough some dough from our favorite pizzeria, and some canned sauce from the store.
I had a bit of trouble getting the egg up to temp. Seemed like every time I got it over 300, and put in the plate setter, and it would go out! :(
well I finally got the temp up, (no daisy wheel), I put the stone one, and when I went to open it up, I got a touch of flashback that crisped a portion of my gasket. Sitting on top of my pizza stone was a fuzzy fluff piece of ash, and there is a place where it looks like the gasket got pulled "into" the egg.

well anyway, the pizza cooked at about 600 for 13 minutes. The wifey rolled out the dough, but I think she made it a bit thick for me, and it came out like a round Sicilian without the nice airholes. But quite tasty. Pics are coming.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• tazcrash
    Here are the pics of the pizza (see it did happen), and the missing section of gasket.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I would hook a shop vac up to the bottom vent and let her rip and burn off the rest of the dumb gasket. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tazcrash
    travisstrick, Do you run without a gasket? 
    I would think that keeping low temps would be harder without one.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Adam20
    Adam20 Posts: 1
    Pizza was my second cook on me new large bge. This is my first post but I have been tracking you guys for a while. I was letting my egg get to "temp" while I was chopping toppings for my diff pizza's; knowing that I need to get the pizza stone to 550-600, I'm not paying much attention. I go check the egg after cutting the peppers and I buried the needle!! Temp is 700++. Gasket is toast lol. So pissed. Made the pizzas anyway. And turned out great!! Bge rocks. Did a 7.5 Boston butt yesterday. Turned out well thanks to the posts and knowledge I've been getting from the bge community.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    That's how my gasket has looked since I charred it on my second use. I'm going on 6 months heavy use now with 0 issues.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    No gasket here. I have no issues without it. I suggest not worrying about it until you see a problem. My guess is, most of us worry about it needlessly.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • My gasket burned and fell off the 2nd week I had my egg.  I posted a message just like this and Travis gave me the same reply - don't stress too much about it.  I did call BGE and get a replacement NOMEX but I used the egg for about 2 months without a gasket and had no problems.  I did some 15-18 hour cooks and had no problem maintaining temperature.  Air/Smoke did escape through gasketless crack especially if you have probe wires going through - but this didn't cause me any problems.  You can also loosen the top hinge strap to re-align your top and bottom pieces so they are more flush.
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    I too cooked my gasket doing pizza.I upgraded my gasket to the nomex and havent had any trouble since.I would put the nomex one on before I even cooked on it next time .It would save a pile of work taking off the felt one.They should just come with the upgraded one on it for the money we spend.