Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heating up the BGE question

Eggbertsdad
Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've noticed when I light the BGE (I bury a starter right in the middle), when it is heating up the middle to back right (as you're looking at it) gets most of the action while the coals right in front of me get none. Is that normal? I started with a perfectly clean BGE so no holes were clogged. 

Thanks for your help.
Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I assume it has to do with the air flow.  Air enters through the bottom vent, flows to the back of the egg and then up through the top vent.  You'll get some air flow in the front but most goes to the back.  Just my theory, not sure about that.  I use an electric starter, leave it in for 8 minutes, then stir the lump with a small shovel.  This reduces the "hot back" issue.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Eggbertsdad
    Thanks. Maybe I need to stir up a bit more after it's lit. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

+1 with ChokeonSmoke's assessment-Also some suggest on indirect cooks with platesetter to position one of the legs at around the one o'clock position-to help reduce the hotter zone. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Thanks ChokeOnSmoke and lousubcap. I think I need to rake the coals after they're lit for a bit and interesting point about the 1 o'clock position.