Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Boil on BGE?

Options
NecessaryIndulg
NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Some friends came over last night for a shrimp boil -- I bought the food, they brought their cooking contraption.

I'd love to be able to do this using the fire from my LBGE and not worry with a propane tank and such. Has anyone done this? I'd love your thoughts...

Shrimp Boil

Shrimp Boil

Shrimp Boil
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    It's a good ole Wisconsin/Great Lakes fish boil, but with shrimp rather than a salmonid. With these kind of cooks, all you're looking for is a good heat source. No smoking benefit whatsoever. The water is going to be heavy, and quite high on an egg. I think I would stick with the fancy contraption for this cook. You could do it the Wisconsin/Great Lakes way! Put the pot on an outdoor fire, and when finished, throw a cup or so of deisel fuel into the flames. It's a great affect and causes a boil off of the fat, etc... Nah, maybe not.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    would rather use the propane for a big boil. but for smaller boils you could use your dutch, i sometimes use a cataplana

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I've got the same setup, but we use it for crawfish boils.  It's also used for fried turkeys, but I've never done that.

Now, I want some mudbugs.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yeah, I would stick to the outdoor cooker for "Lowcountry Boil". As a low country boy (from Beaufort near Charleston, SC) I have used outdoor cookers a ton. They are perfect for LB, frying turkeys, and steaming oysters. As always, your pics look great Kristi and I like your enthusiasm trying to fing a way to cook that on the egg!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Thanks, guys.  You're right, I didn't think about the height issue. 

As I stood there watching this cook last night -- beer(s) in hand of course -- I thought, my BGE can produce WAY more heat than this thing!  

It looks like I'm in the market for a propane tank ... just never thought I'd say those words. ;)  hahaha! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I think you keep taking those pictures to make us jealous of where you live.  Pouring rain here and you have pics like that.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I have a turkey fryer and it is relatively inexpensive.  I think I paid $50 and use it mostly to cook lobster in the summer.  BGE turkey is far better (and easier/less expensive/tastier) than using a turkey fryer anyway. 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Thanks, guys.  You're right, I didn't think about the height issue. 

As I stood there watching this cook last night -- beer(s) in hand of course -- I thought, my BGE can produce WAY more heat than this thing!  

It looks like I'm in the market for a propane tank ... just never thought I'd say those words. ;)  hahaha! 
    I now have 3 of those things collecting dust in the garage!  :))
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)