Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr. Pepper Ribs, OMG !

2»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Any relation to Joseph Strick, the director? Used to live in a boss Oscar niemeyer?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Thanks for the link to that. Looks lime a lot of great recipes.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    You guys are going to put a dent in my retirement plan, I am already planning my next egg purchase, and VI you have to go and post this amazing meal. I may have to go to, or even better start a egg-rehab center!!
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    I will call it Egg-Hav.....no, Egg-Hab darn it!

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    VI I love that the beer is the focus point for the picture :P

mirin' your egg setup! 
  • VI - nice looking cook.  Will have to try that.  =D>

I once tried a similar cook w/ ribs using Guiness and I thought it came out good. 

However, some of the "purists" said that I was "boiling" them and that it was akin to taking a shower w/ a raincoat on.

Regardless, I thought they tasted good, and if you enjoyed the taste of these Dr. Pepper ribs then that's all that matters, and methinks I'll give it a shot!!!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I made some ribs once with Goya Malta. They came out pretty good as well. Not BBQ, but good.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Vi, I got "The Homesick Texan" cookbook for Christmas. I can tell you as a displaced Texan living in Georgia, the book is worth it's weight in gold! Some amazing recipes, love the blog too.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Vi, I got "The Homesick Texan" cookbook for Christmas. I can tell you as a displaced Texan living in Georgia, the book is worth it's weight in gold! Some amazing recipes, love the blog too.
    Yes, great book.  Lots of recipes to try.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Wow they look some good and would love the recipe for them!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Village Idiot
    Here is the link to the recipe.

Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Thanks for sharing VI. I'll be trying these for my next rib cook.

What is the optimal Egg cooking method for this recipe? I assume you would use a sealed pan on the Egg for the initial DP simmer then cook indirect on the grid for the mopping at 30 min intervals until complete?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Gary I showed this to Linda a couple of days ago. Last night she said " I want those DP ribs Gary cooked". No problem I said. She said yes just like his but I want them dry and with the rub I like :-/ :-t. Am I the only person that's been married to long to understand anymore?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Gary I showed this to Linda a couple of days ago. Last night she said " I want those DP ribs Gary cooked". No problem I said. She said yes just like his but I want them dry and with the rub I like :-/ :-t. Am I the only person that's been married to long to understand anymore?
    hahaha. This is sounding so familiar.  Pam was saying how great they were, but next time, don't make it spicy.  Actually, on the rub, I was thinking of using my Texas BBQ rub next time.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Thanks for sharing VI. I'll be trying these for my next rib cook.

What is the optimal Egg cooking method for this recipe? I assume you would use a sealed pan on the Egg for the initial DP simmer then cook indirect on the grid for the mopping at 30 min intervals until complete?
    I'm not sure what the optimal method is, Slobberdog.  For the first part, I sealed the ribs up tightly with aluminum foil. I cooked the entire cook indirect at 300.

Dripping Springs, Texas.