Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Broken ceramic lid

PantsPants Posts: 7
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I knocked the little ceramic lid cover (smoke hole plug? Not sure of the technical term) off my egg while taking my cover off. Shattered into three pieces. I think I could glue it, but the wife is concerned about the heat and glue dripping on the food. Can/should I order a replacement? If so, where?
·

Comments

• lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 197

Do you mean the "rain cap" if so JB Weld it up, and keep cookin'!

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    You are now an Offical Egghead. Most of us have one or two.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    JB Weld works perfectly!   Worked well when I cracked my platesetter leg.  
    ·
  • neumskineumski Posts: 41
    No...most of us don't hahaha
    2nd large Egg Nest
    ·
  • CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 488
    That lid would never be on the grill when food is.
    ·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    neumski, your just waiting for your turn, it's coming :-)
    ·
  • centex99centex99 Posts: 231
    You can just keep the metal one on all the time... I don't even own one of the ceramic ones...
    ·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 977

I have seen them on ebay for less than $10. call your dealer

XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • HinpeckHinpeck Posts: 8
    You can just keep the metal one on all the time... I don't even own one of the ceramic ones...
    Agreed.  Mine broke and I have not bothered to replace it.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    Agreed.  Mine broke and I have not bothered to replace it.

I never use the metal one on any of the three (was four) eggs. I use the the ceramic ones all the time. Just more careful now.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 252
    $32.95 at dealer...been there / done that / got the t-shirt/ and I think I got a whole lot more if you know what I mean.....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 736

I broke mine too when I was pulling my cover. Got me a new one just last week at the dealer.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
    +1 on JB Weld.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,661
    yeah this came close to happening to me. Now that it has gasket on it its a much tighter fit it is not going anywhere. I hope
    Seattle, WA
    ·