Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Broken ceramic lid

PantsPants Posts: 7
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I knocked the little ceramic lid cover (smoke hole plug? Not sure of the technical term) off my egg while taking my cover off. Shattered into three pieces. I think I could glue it, but the wife is concerned about the heat and glue dripping on the food. Can/should I order a replacement? If so, where?
·

Comments

• lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 183

Do you mean the "rain cap" if so JB Weld it up, and keep cookin'!

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,807
    You are now an Offical Egghead. Most of us have one or two.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    JB Weld works perfectly!   Worked well when I cracked my platesetter leg.  
    ·
  • neumskineumski Posts: 41
    No...most of us don't hahaha
    2nd large Egg Nest
    ·
  • CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 483
    That lid would never be on the grill when food is.
    ·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    neumski, your just waiting for your turn, it's coming :-)
    ·
  • centex99centex99 Posts: 231
    You can just keep the metal one on all the time... I don't even own one of the ceramic ones...
    ·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 954

I have seen them on ebay for less than $10. call your dealer

XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • HinpeckHinpeck Posts: 8
    You can just keep the metal one on all the time... I don't even own one of the ceramic ones...
    Agreed.  Mine broke and I have not bothered to replace it.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,807
    Agreed.  Mine broke and I have not bothered to replace it.

I never use the metal one on any of the three (was four) eggs. I use the the ceramic ones all the time. Just more careful now.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 237
    $32.95 at dealer...been there / done that / got the t-shirt/ and I think I got a whole lot more if you know what I mean.....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 674

I broke mine too when I was pulling my cover. Got me a new one just last week at the dealer.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
    +1 on JB Weld.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,291
    yeah this came close to happening to me. Now that it has gasket on it its a much tighter fit it is not going anywhere. I hope
    Seattle, WA
    ·