Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I wreck my Wok?

tgkleman
tgkleman Posts: 216
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi fellow wokkers,

I accidentally let my egg get up to 700 F with the wok on it (no oil in it) as I was preparing for a stir fry last night.  It go so hot that the oil auto-ignited the first time I tried to cook.  Luckily it was only a tablespoon's worth.  I took the wok off the grill and let it cool, and brought the egg down to a lower temperature, and the stir fry turned out fine.  The wok has a dark, bluish hue to it now (like when you burn a chisel edge on on a grinder).

Did I burn the seasoning off my wok?
If so, should I re-season it?
For you metallurgists out there, any issues you see with continuing to use the wok?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2012
    I just got my shipment from the Wok Shop and one thing they noted in the "about" was that you can't ruin a wok.  To restore, just re-season.

With that being said, just re-season if you think you lost your non-stick attributes.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I did the same thing during my firs season attempt. All I did was start over at the beginning. I wouldnt worry.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I think it is fine. When I am done stir frying and close down the egg and the temp rises before pausing for the fall it is about that high anyways. Like Cazzy said, if you are ever concerned, just season it again. @ VI will be here shortly to fill the blanks....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
     @ VI will be here shortly to fill the blanks....
    Chubbs, are you OK?

My dissertation for my Ph.D. in Metallurgy was titled "The Effects of Applying High Heat To a Round Bottomed Wok In a Non-sterile Metric Space".  The discussion is much too complex to address here, but in general, since you said your stir fry went well, I would say that the wok is fine.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thank you the "OTHER" Dr. (soon to be) Village Idiot.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    you should be good to go, just reseason and wok away....t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    The Egg is metric?!?!  :-O

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I think the space around the egg is metric. 
    Maybe because it's made in Mexico? 
    8-|
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Made in Mexico, and Corona, Tekate, Dos Equis....etc are measured in milliliters, so the Egg is definitely Metric!!!  :)

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Village Idiot
    Yes, I used my metric crescent wrench to tighten the nuts.  

:-?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Thanks for the advice everyone,  I'll go with the consensus that the wok is fine.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
     @ VI will be here shortly to fill the blanks....
    Chubbs, are you OK?

My dissertation for my Ph.D. in Metallurgy was titled "The Effects of Applying High Heat To a Round Bottomed Wok In a Non-sterile Metric Space".  The discussion is much too complex to address here, but in general, since you said your stir fry went well, I would say that the wok is fine.
    I am great Gary. And you?

:-?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Doing great, my friend.  :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    VI unless you used a left handed 6 in metric crescent wrench, the bolts may come loose. :D
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    AE, I yield to your obvious expertise.  I am but a poor immigrant from Houston.  To show you how uninformed I am, I would have thought that a "6 inch metric ..." would be an oxymoron.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    When you come to Austin for the fest I will tell you the story of the 6in left handed metric crescent.  You are coming to Austin Fest?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    When you come to Austin for the fest I will tell you the story of the 6in left handed metric crescent.  You are coming to Austin Fest?
    Joan,

If you, Travis, Mickey, Caz, Griffin, Boatbum, Eggster, Chubbs and a few more from this forum come, I just might do it.  Otherwise, I've had enough fun for a couple of years.

Someone even stole our spatula, which caused a big problem for us, only to return it just before the end of the day.  I guess that justified to themselves that they really didn't "steal" it.  I know who it was, but it's not important.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    It's not stealing if you bring it back. 

Can I borrow $5000?
  • Village Idiot
    It's not stealing if you bring it back. 

Can I borrow $5000?
    Right.

NO !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• is the wok metric too?

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    The african wok, or the European wok?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure