Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meatloaf

BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a loaf tonight, which happens to already be on the egg, and began to wonder has anyone cooked a meatloaf over a bed of bacon?
·

Comments

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,413
    Not with bacon on the bottom but over the top. I put bread on the bottom to sop up some of the fat and then throw it away.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    granny.  try it without the pan.

brownie. it sounds interesting. why not.  again though, maybe not in a pan.

you know, meat loaf is essentially pate.  and pate is usually cooked in a pan lined with green bacon, or back fat.

you might like it better wrapping the loaf in bacon and not cooking it in a pan at all.  roast it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    Check out the bacon explosion.
    http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Of course you need some weaving skills. And rather than roll, I would wrap it like the tastiest gift paper ever.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
    Oh my, learning new tricks all the time. Next time no pan and wrapped in bacon. Reading up on pate from the Charcuterie. ;;)
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    All sounds great! I cook mine in a wire basket (Pampered chef).

Granny, do you completely cover the top or just do a few slices?
    ·
    Both, sometimes I don't plan ahead well enough and come up short on the bacon. Prefer it covered.
    ·
  • BakemanBakeman Posts: 113
    Question,when you cover it in bacon does the meat still brown??
    ·
    No, just the bacon browns.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    Toss it right on the grid, indirect with a drip pan.  You'll get a nice crust all sides.  Take it up to 155 internal. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • NightwingXPNightwingXP Posts: 436
    Toss it right on the grid, indirect with a drip pan.  You'll get a nice crust all sides.  Take it up to 155 internal. 
    How big a meatloaf do you make Choke? ( lbs. ? )
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    edited March 2012
    How big a meatloaf do you make Choke? ( lbs. ? )
    Usually about 1.5 to 2 lbs.  I cook them at about 375-400 and it takes a little over an hour to finish.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
    I'm not sure I can give up that great crust for bacon.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,881
    Haven't tried bacon yet, but like using the CI grill, flat side up, to better support, and better crust, the bottom.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • NightwingXPNightwingXP Posts: 436
    Thanks Choke!

Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,268
    Brownie, at the Salado fest I cooked a bacon wrapped meat roll. Here is what I did.
    Bacon base placed on top of bacon was 90/10 ground sirloin topped with white cheddar cheese, topped with a mixture of sautéed onions, jalapeño sundries tomatoes and mushrooms. Rolled up into a log and cooked to temp.
    I called it a deconstructed reconstructed bacon cheese burger and served on Hawaiian rolls. Didn't last very long. I never had time to take a picture, but I have done this cook before and posted pictures
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
    Austin, That's sounds fantastic! Thanks for the idea.
    ·