Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question (Legs Up Platesetter)

EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
For those that make pizzas with the legs up does the indirectness bring more smoke to the pizza flavor?  I've always made mine legs down with the green legs holding up the pizza stone.  What's the benefit for the legs up?
Large BGE

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Main reason is it's supposed to be better on the factory gasket. You don't have all that heat coming around the platesetter right at gasket level.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Gato is correct. The mothership said legs up with grate, ceramic feet, and then stone for pizzas. It is easier on the gasket.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Won't make a difference with the smoke. If you want a lot of smoke, cook it hot then throw some wood chips in and choke it down for a minute or 2. Make sure you "burp" the egg before opening the lid after choking it down when it's hot or you will be in for a nasty surprise (it will shoot fire up your arm and scare the hell out of you). Seriously, NEVER choke a hot fire on a BGE and open the lid without ventilating. It's dangerous.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Do yourself a favor., if you are going to make pizza's regularly, replace your gasket with a Rutland.
  • Do yourself a favor., if you are going to make pizza's regularly, replace your gasket with a Rutland.
    I make them all the time on the standard gasket and don't have any problems. I replace every 2-3 years but they never fall off. I do need to look into this Rutland Gasket though. Thanks
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    My gasket fried after the 2nd week of having it....Really don't have much of it left at all....
    Large BGE

• My gasket fried after the 2nd week of having it....Really don't have much of it left at all....
    mine went 1st weekend (6 years ago when I bought it). I fired it up to 700 to sear steaks and it fell off in my food! If you let them cure for a few cooks before firing up the steaks or pizza, they will last years. when you replace, just make sure you scrape it down to the porcelain and use mineral spirits to remove the old adhesive. Let it sit for a day or 2 with the lid closed and then do some med temp cooks for the week. You'll be good to go after that.  Retailers really need to do a better job of telling people to allow their gaskets to cure for a few cooks and this problem would go away.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Do yourself a favor., if you are going to make pizza's regularly, replace your gasket with a Rutland.

I really can't get past the whole fiberglass or whatever warning on the Rutland. Maybe because I have a pregnant wife.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Do yourself a favor., if you are going to make pizza's regularly, replace your gasket with a Rutland.

I really can't get past the whole fiberglass or whatever warning on the Rutland. Maybe because I have a pregnant wife.
    just did 4 pizzas tonight at 650 for at least an hour. No prob with my stock gaskets. let 'em cure and you'll be all good.