Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bigguy's New Table With a Few Extras

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm close to having my table done and I wanted to show the CAD and actual photos together but.... Here is my table so far. I thought I should add a fridge and a sink. I'm hooking the sink up to a gargen hose and I will have a 5 gal drain container. I'm not sure if I want the added gas burner (sitting next to my egg). I thought with 40,000 btu it could be useful but still not sold on it. I'm setting the tile this week and using silicone rather than grout. I thought it would be easier to clean up and nothing soaking into the grout joints. The wheels are removable. They will hinge down into place as it lifts the legs up and I can pull it around with my mower, pop the pins out and it will lower onto the 4x4's.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    Looks nice and unique... would love to see pics of work as well...
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Love the CAD drawing...looking forward to seeing the "actual".  Cool wheel/leg idea.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Nice design. Glad to hear the wheels are removable, I was thinking they looked like some ankle bitters, especially after an adult beverage or two. I would love a burner in my table. I have one outside I use all the time for things that make a big mess in the house. Cooked up a load of bacon this am on it.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Bigguy - nice design.  Like the removable wheels, but just wondering - why the need to remove them?

Also... Solidworks??? Really?  Are you a CAD Designer / Engineer?  Cuz I use tools like that @ my work (Solidworks, Pro/E, NX), and ummmm, those aren't "toys" like Sketchup & what not - those are very powerful 3D tools which cost THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars!!

I guess once my table gets done, I'll have to post my "CAD screenshots" vs "Real Life pics" also (though, I'll have to go back & make the CAD, as I did all the design off the cuff - which, I guess, is one reason why the stupid thing still ain't done yet)!!!  ;)

I'm very impressed w/ all the talent, passion, and just "good guys" (AND girls) that have shown up around here... you guys are really setting the bar high!!!  There were those who didn't think this forum stood a chance, and I'm happy to say that if you guys keep it up, this could be the top BBQ forum out there - let alone the top BGE forum!! =D>

P.S.  Going back & re-reading what I wrote, it might be interpreted that I suggested that those who use things like Sketchup aren't as "qualified" as those who use the more powerful (read:  more expensive) tools.  Quite the contrary - actually, I think for designs which rely on basic geometric shapes (rectangular shapes like 2x4s & circular shapes like paver stones) that Sketchup is an excellent tool for that, and is quite capable.  So in reality, what I meant was that using a tool like Solidworks is overkill - sort of like using a bazooka to go squirrel hunting!!!  ;)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Bigguy - nice design.  Like the removable wheels, but just wondering - why the need to remove them?

Also... Solidworks??? Really?  Are you a CAD Designer / Engineer?  Cuz I use tools like that @ my work (Solidworks, Pro/E, NX), and ummmm, those aren't "toys" like Sketchup & what not - those are very powerful 3D tools which cost THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars!!

I guess once my table gets done, I'll have to post my "CAD screenshots" vs "Real Life pics" also (though, I'll have to go back & make the CAD, as I did all the design off the cuff - which, I guess, is one reason why the stupid thing still ain't done yet)!!!  ;)

I'm very impressed w/ all the talent, passion, and just "good guys" (AND girls) that have shown up around here... you guys are really setting the bar high!!!  There were those who didn't think this forum stood a chance, and I'm happy to say that if you guys keep it up, this could be the top BBQ forum out there - let alone the top BGE forum!! =D>

P.S.  Going back & re-reading what I wrote, it might be interpreted that I suggested that those who use things like Sketchup aren't as "qualified" as those who use the more powerful (read:  more expensive) tools.  Quite the contrary - actually, I think for designs which rely on basic geometric shapes (rectangular shapes like 2x4s & circular shapes like paver stones) that Sketchup is an excellent tool for that, and is quite capable.  So in reality, what I meant was that using a tool like Solidworks is overkill - sort of like using a bazooka to go squirrel hunting!!!  ;)
    HH, why don't you just speak Greek and get it over with? All I heard was "blah blah blah, BGE, blah blah blah". That being said, please make me something cool with all that Greek stuff. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    You might want to think about using epoxy grout for the tile. Won't stain, is waterproof and not that much harder to apply. Never needs sealing either.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Want to do my CAD assignment for me? Lol j/k
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Trav - nahhhhh, not "Greek"  but maybe "geek" - :-B

oh, and if this Hillbilly can do it, anyone can - born & raised in Wild, Wonderful West "By God" Virginia, but living in Silicon Valley - why ya think I call myself a "hightech hillbilly?") hehe...

Bys1981 - not sure if yer talkin to me or Bigguy, but since yer in the Bay Area, ya may be talkin to me - if so, then yeah, I can do yer design if ya want... you got some hand drawings, dimensions, and/or pics ya want it to look like?

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Sandi_k
    Sandi_k Posts: 52
    Options
    HH, both of my parents are from "West 'By-God' Virginia", and my grandpa was a proud hillbilly. I'm in NorCal too. Nice to "know" you.

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Sandi - hehe... yeah, it seems like a large Bay Area contingency here... ever checked out Eggs by the Bay in Santa Clara?  Smitty's the man!!
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    @Hillbilly what part of the Frontier Section of Virginia are you from?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• bigguy136
    Options

Correct, Mechanical Engineer. I used SolidWorks for many years and now I'm NX. Just wanted to remember the good old days and used SolidWorks. I also teach night SolidWorks classes at the local tech college.
    That might be the only image as something hit my computer just after I posted. It says my hard drive is dropping sectors and my memory is failing but I think it's scareware. Computer is into IT and I will find out how much data I lost later.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    HokieSmoker - I grew up about 20 miles west of Morgantown - out in the BOONIES!!!

BigGuy - how do you like NX? We are scheduled to transition over to that in a few months - right now, we are using NX's "grandaddy" which is I-DEAS (if you know what that is, then you're showing your age) ;-)
  • bigguy136
    Options
    I'm 44 years old but I have worked with I-DEAS. It sucks. NX has some settings to help transision from I-DEAS to NX that should help but in the end, NX still is more difficult than it needs to be.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Options
    hillbilly I use I-DEAS at work and i hate it. The worst program in the world. At my old job i used solid works and now I know how good I had it. We are also supposed to go to NX at some point.
  • bigguy136
    Options
    hillbilly I use I-DEAS at work and i hate it. The worst program in the world. At my old job i used solid works and now I know how good I had it. We are also supposed to go to NX at some point.
    I think MDT (mechanical desktop) would be the worst in the world.

I think we have our first engineering software thread on BGE

Big Lake, Minnesota

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited March 2012
    Options
    nope
    from a Nov2009 'debate' about whether a dude's rectangular cast-iron grid would fit in a round egg.

answer: yes
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bigguy136
    Options

Here are a couple of update photos as I'm working on my table. It should be a sunny warm weekend and I could get most of my table done if I can stay focused.imageimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

I still have a few things like paper towel holder and bottle opener but for the most part, I'm calling it done. Here are a few photos.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looking good sir...and well stocked. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
  • BLDGMAN
    BLDGMAN Posts: 30
    Options
    Please tell me about the brackets that hold the Rubbermaid containers on the bottom.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Very Nice.  I want one!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Please tell me about the brackets that hold the Rubbermaid containers on the bottom.
    They are aluminum channels from Mcmaster-Carr (part # 9001K72) and were $33.00 for 8'. I want to find a different tub over the summer but what I have is working, just want it better.

I figure I better get a paper towel holder and bottle opener mounted first.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    Very Nice.  I want one!
    I made mine with a skill saw, router, drill and grinder. Not to difficult.
    Without the wheel set-up and fridge, I have $250.00 into it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Options
    Nice. I would put a draft tower on the top though and a homebrew keg in the fridge! :D

Seriously I may take his design and do that when and if I ever build a table. So far I'm happy with the portability of my Egg in a nest.