Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Plateau?

LPofFive
LPofFive Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in Beef
4 hrs into my first brisket smoke, I've got a little 4lb flat that's been at grate temp of 208-235.  Meat probe was at 153 when I got home from some errands and grate was at 208.  Opened bottom vent up a little and brought temp back up to 225.  Meat probe hasn't changed in last 15 min since I got home.  Question is: doesn't this seem to be a low temp for the plateau?  Appreciate any insights.  

I'm just going to leave it alone - not worried - more curious than anything else....

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

You have the right approach-here are a few bits of info:

I only have access to flats which I cook on a LBGE about once every 4-6 weeks. They run 5-8#'s and I see around 1.8-2.1 hrs/# at a calibrated dome of 250*F +/- .  With indirect cooks the dome is about 20-40*F hotter than the grate unless the dome is shut for an extended period of time at which time they get close to equilibrium.  Your plateau may be a bit early but every hunk is different-and 15 mins is nothing with the brisket.  I've seen around a 4 hour stall at 180*F-no easy way to tell. Brisket-always fun, always different and always a journey...here are a few sites with great info:
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

http://www.bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    You can overload on brisket info- It will turn out well and don't forget to give it time to rest -aka wrap and pack in a cooler before slicing.  I am getting hungry:) Enjoy-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks, Lou.  It's been another 1.5 hrs and the meat temp has risen three degrees.  Just going to give it time - after all there's football to watch....

You're right about overloading on brisket info!  That Amazing Ribs site is a new one to me - thanks for sending link.  He mentioned foiling at the plateau - I may go try that now.

I used a rub from Angelo's (awesome BBQ joint over in Fort Worth), overnight in fridge, no injections, and just going low and slow....

LP

• You are in good shape. Plateau is usually between 150-170 (give or take a few degrees. A brisket can sit in this range for several hours (depending on size) so leave it alone and let the magic happen.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Don't be concerned if during the plateau - the internal temp drops a couple of degrees - its just doing its melting thing.

Cookin in Texas
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2012
    Man, this guy has been cooking a brisket since mid-January??!! That's a hell of a plateau..... =))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Man, this guy has been cooking a brisket since mid-January??!! That's a @#!*% of a plateau..... =))
    Ha! Nice
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    must be grass fed beef.
    Cookin in Texas