Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post-Pizza Butternut Squash

FingerLicker
FingerLicker Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in Vegetables

For my second-ever Egg cook I tried a pizza at 650 degrees indirect, with the plate setter legs up and a pizza stone on the grate. It came out fantastic, but the best part was yet to come.

Since I had the new Egg up to 650 I didn't want to let all that heat go to waste. So I popped in some big chunks of (mostly) butternut squash right on the pizza stone, skin side down, before shutting all the vents. Normally I'd never think of baking squash at 650 degrees but I thought it might get more caramelization than in a typical 350-degree oven, and just hoped it would cool down fast enough to avoid burning it. I left it in there for several hours as the Egg cooled to around 200 degrees. Here's how it looked when it came out:

It was WAY good! I've never had squash that tasted so rich and caramely, with just a hint of smoke. The long cook seemed to concentrate the sugar and dried it out a little but it was still plenty moist enough. After scooping it out of the skins we ate some of it just as cooked squash, and then made the rest into a pie. Best squash pie I've ever had!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Please expound on the squash. What's the recipe fit the pie?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Squash Pie Recipe

Ingredients: Squash baked in egg, Awesome wife

Directions: Give baked squash to awesome wife. Say "Please o please make this into a pie!"  Wait until great smells emanate from kitchen. Eat when told to. Heap great praise on awesome wife so she'll do it again.

Okay seriously, it was a basic "pumpkin" pie just using the baked butternut squash in place of the pumpkin. The awesome wife often doesn't use a written recipe so I'll post more details when I can get her to write them down.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Better yet, please explain your handle.....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • FingerLickin Good Squash Pie

Ingredients
    Winter squash such as butternut (need 2 cups cooked)
    2 eggs
    1 can evaporated milk
    1 t cinnamon, ground
    1/2 t ginger, ground
    1/8 t cloves, ground
    1 c dark brown sugar
    9-inch pie crust

Cut the winter squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Set up Egg for indirect cooking with platesetter legs-up, grate on top. Heat to 650 degrees (if you like, bake a pizza or two). Place squash in a baking pan skin-side down so that it will retain juices, and place on the grate above platesetter (it's okay to place it on a pizza stone if you used one). Close down all vents and leave until the egg cools below 200 degrees (a few hours).

Preheat a regular oven to 425 degrees, convection oven or egg (indirect) to 400. Scoop out the baked squash and measure 2 cups for the pie. Mix with the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until mostly smooth, pour into pie crust. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce temp to 350 and bake until a sharp knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool and serve.

• Better yet, please explain your handle.....
    Chubbs, sorry no interesting story about the handle, just made it up after cooking my first batch of ribs on the egg. Didn't actually use very much sauce on them but it still required a lot of finger licking to eat them, tasty!