Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My life is ruined.... I'm serious.

Options
travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I finally broke out my 20in wok. I just used some leftover sauce from my tuna last week and whatever veggies I had in my fridge. I am so blown away. And now, my life is ruined. I will have to work ONE MORE style of cooking into my rotation. The wife lady loved it and it works with her pregger diet. Thanks Gary for your turning all of us on to the wok. It was fast and effortless. I can tell this is going to get interesting once I get the hang of it and find some different sauces. 

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. 
imageimageimage
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks good :ar! . The best sauce is the tall one with the red top. Did you Dad get off?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

I am spechless, Now i have to buy one.

I also see the Mt Gay Rum has not left your side.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• travisstrick
    Options
    Yeper. He got home about 6pm today. The house seems quiet without him and that darn dog. I dont remember having a better time than the last two weeks. Good food and good company all around. 
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Dang Trav that looks good. Does the wok double as a fire pit? That thing is huge. I have to ask, does anyone else notice Trav's threads taking longer to load than the others? Seems like every one.

Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    The wok looks like it's getting a good seasoning on it, and it looks like the right size.  Glad you got a 20, and not a 22" like I recommended..

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    Options
    What is the wok sitting on?
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    I think its the spider, but I'm not sure if its a LGE or XL egg, but by the dimensions i think its a XL.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited March 2012
    Options
    XL spider from ceramicgrillstore.com
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Ok here is my question to you guys.. how is the wok on the egg diff than on stove? I wok fried rice stuff pretty frequently, and was curious the taste difference?
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Ok here is my question to you guys.. how is the wok on the egg diff than on stove? I wok fried rice stuff pretty frequently, and was curious the taste difference?
    Great question.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    travis, i'll take the wok off your hands if you like... then you won't have to work it in rotation! :-)
    Also, food looks awesome!  I was thinking of buying a 16" wok for my XL... but may have to spring for a 20"
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I don't know about taste-wise but heat-wise it looks like the wok can get plenty hot on the Egg!

• Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    Options
    A stove cannot produce a hot enough fire to achieve true stir fry.  According to Grace Young, author of Breath Of A Wok and Stirfrying To The Sky's Edge, professional Chinese chefs cook on a fire 20 times hotter than a stove's heat.  The theory is that the hotter the fire (within reason), the quicker the cook and therefore, the less nutrients are lost and better taste.  The Chinese call it Wok Hei, which is the essence of stir frying.  It is the difference between good Chinese food and great Chinese food.  Many would argue that cooking on a stove would more properly be called sautéing rather than stir frying.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    Options
    travis, i'll take the wok off your hands if you like... then you won't have to work it in rotation! :-)
    Also, food looks awesome!  I was thinking of buying a 16" wok for my XL... but may have to spring for a 20"
    A 16in wont work. There would be too much space between the edge of the wok and the egg. I already HAD to use elbow length gloves to stir the wok due to the heat blasting by the edge of the wok. I lucked out and got the right size. 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Well if you ever give up cooking on that thing, you can take that tall bottle and the wok to the top of a snowy hill and have a great day sledding!
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    The wok looks like it's getting a good seasoning on it, and it looks like the right size.  Glad you got a 20, and not a 22" like I recommended..
    So what size wok do yoy recommended for the large then?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Tuttle.  A 16 inch wok is perfect for the Large.  That's what I have.  Here is a picture of one, sitting on a spider with legs down.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I got confirmation yest that my wok has shipped from the WokShop. Thanks to VI and Travis for all the pics and ideas for using this setup!!
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Oh yea, anyone looking to get a wok for the xl from the wok shop, I suggest getting the 20in hand hammered one. According to Mrs Tane Chen, the hand hammered is a little taller. After cooking on mine, I think the height is ideal. A shorter wok may not be as fitting.
  • neumski
    neumski Posts: 41
    Options
    Not done....get a paella pan haha.
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    I wish I saw this last week. I just ordered a 16" one for a XL, but I did order the lump reducing ring so I might be ok. It was the largest in stock that he had. 

Where is that 20 inch hand hammered one you are recommending Travis in case I want one? I dont see it on http://www.wokshop.com/store/search.php?list=subcat&subcat=3 

Bye the way, I just ordered a XL after one year of dreaming about it, I am so happy! Cant wait to experience what everybody on this forum are raving about. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    I couldn't find it either, looks delicious any chance of a link.

Cheers.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    You have to call and ask for one. It's not on their site.
  • Stoater
    Options
    Ok cheers Travis, What spider did you order for the xl, looks like there are 2 posted, there is the 0.75 drop and the 1.25,
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I have the .75 and use it legs up for the wok. Also, make sure you order the large wok spatchula. It's a must have. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    And don't forget a long "good" glove.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    I have the 1.25" spider... will it work as well?  Also, which one is the large wok spatcula? Size/length?  How much did the 20" run?  And any suggestions on good long gloves?  I have a cheapo pair of leather gloves ($1.99 at HD variety)... but no long ones...
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Academy has a $10 pair that works great. When I called, Mrs Chen called it the large and said it was the one I needed. I highly suggest you call and talk to her. I think the 20in was 39 or 49 bucks. It's the same price as the 20in on her site. And yes, the 1.25 should work fine. 
  • Stoater
    Options
    Cheers I will pick one up, that workshop must be making a fortune.
  • Stoater
    Options
    We should start a BGE Discount program, any product that gets a referral from the BGE forum should be entitled to 20% off.  That workshop must be raking it in.