Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or XLarge?

neumski
neumski Posts: 41
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
This has probably been discussed a million times... I had the large for 6 years. Went to a horizontal 20 inch offset by Horizon. Don't like the horizontal as it burns too much wood...temps are too hard to maintain...surface rust...too large for my back porch. I was happy with the large except, I did'nt think it  was big enough. Now wanting to come back to the egg... I'm seeing more capabilities to increase cooking area has become available for the large. I do believe that the hinging system is flimsier on the Xlarge. It probably burns more fuel. Is there more cracking issues with the XLarge? I'm thinking that there is more eggcessories for the large cause it's more popular?  HELP!!!   Jeff
2nd large Egg Nest

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2012
    I have a large, but I went that route because I had every intention to team it up with a small.  There are also a ton of accessories available for a large.  That being said, most XL owners love the extra size and don't wish they had a large after receipt.  The saying around here is buy the biggest egg your budget allows and don't look back.  Seeing that you've already owned a large, all the more reason to get a XL.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

Yup been discussed over and over again-try the search function as there have been recent threads on the subject.  You could also try a google search and see what that yields-wherever you landwith a BGE it will be a great choice-welcome back.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Do another Large, you got the toys already.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• neumski
    With the advice of getting the largest you can afford... I can afford the largest...and it's hard to believe that most can't afford the largest with it only being 4-500 dollars more...so why is the large the most popular?  Hmmmm
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    The large was ideal for me. It was a good size for a 3 person family and it has a ton of available accessories. I keep finding things to spend money on so there is a ton of stuff available for the large. I've easily spent more on accessories than I did on the egg so it's all pointless I guess.

I looked at as do want the XL or the L & the S. it was a easy decision after that.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    There are no issues with cracking that I am aware of. 
    The hinge on the XL is more complex, and the lid is heavier, and it does seem to have more "play" as you are opening and closing it.  However after using it for a year, and owning other eggs, I would not call it flimsy.  That hinge is nice in the way it lowers the back of the dome behind the base as you open it. This keeps the dome handle from have to go too high as you open it. 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Two larges will you give a lot of capacity, but it sounds like you cook some high volume, so get the XL.  You can use your large when you need less capacity and the XL when you need more.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    what Mickey said - Never met the man but agree totally.  Having bought my second large recently and swapping the toys between the two is the best of both worlds

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    It will look like this :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• neumski
    Yes...I can cook great quantities...but... I more or less want the capability than really need it. Maybe the Large plus get the small later. I don;t know how people can cook on anything else. If only the world knew. I appreciate all ya'lls input. I'll probably get one and wish I woulda got the other one haha. I wonder if they'll ever make a tweener? With all of your experiences...do you find one or other lump burns better or cleaner than the eggs lump. I have used Royal Oak with pretty good results for the last coupla years.
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • neumski
    This is my Horizon...for sale, and my big green egg. Oh I miss that thing...Maybe I'll sell it today.
    2nd large Egg Nest