Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct or Indirect For Pork Tenderloin?

Options
Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Which do you prefer?

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Both.  I sear it direct and finish it off indirect to 140-145 internal and let rest.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I prefer indirect.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    short cook. direct will give it some color.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    I prefer indirect.
    What dome temp?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Anywhere from 350 to 400. I am not really anal on the dome temp. Just whatever the egg stabilizes too the easiest that day. Then pull it around 145 internal. Pretty quick cook. I did a 5 lb pork loin a few weekends ago and it was arou d 1.5 hour cook.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Either, although for direct I usually cut into chops.  This was indirect 275 for an hour and a half.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    Direct, dome temp of 350...pull at #135, cover and rest for 10 min. Use various rubs...latest was "grand champion from" Texas BBQ. It was excellent. Be careful, it's easy to overcook. 
    Fairview, Texas
  • stike
    edited March 2012
    Options
    doc pic reminds me.  tenderloin or loin?  tenderloin is so small, i just toss it on the back at 400, roll it forward every couple minutes, and when it reaches the front, it's done.

a roast like doc's, from the loin, i would do indirect.

i think everyone's answering for pork loin, when the OP was re: tenderloin. unless chubb found a five pound tenderloin :))

• Chubbs
    Options
    I was talking about tenderloin but used my most recent loin cook as a reference for time. Should have been more clear. Tenderloin is a quick cook if my 5 lb loin only took 1.5 hrs is what was getting at.
  • stike
    Options
    yeah.  super quick cook
    especially when you take them to 130-135, and not 'grandmother approved' (way overcooked) internal temps.
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    edited March 2012
    Options
    yeah.  super quick cook
    especially when you take them to 130-135, and not 'grandmother approved' (way overcooked) internal temps.

Yeah I'd pull at that range, as you let it rest, it will come up a few degrees. Pink is the new gray for pork.

I do direct, raised grid. Around 350-400. Check with thermapen at around the 20 minute mark depending on size.
    Also prefer chips to chunks since its a short cook. I think there's a reason there, but I'll let one of the vets handle that.