Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potential BGE owner - Egg-Cons

Options
BRush00
BRush00 Posts: 367
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everybody,

I'm currently about to pull the trigger on a Large BGE... I'm just working on the W.A.F. (Wife Approval Factor).

As I scour the interwebz looking at all the BGE glory, and debate purchases, sizes, competitors, etc... I've come to the realization that I have not found a single BAD review of the egg.  While this is generally a good thing, I'd still like to know Eggheaders' opinions on the following:

Why should I NOT buy an egg?  What flaws and/or drawbacks are there with the egg?  Currently I own a $200 walmart propane special, and I'm looking at BGE's and Traeger pellet grills.  I've more or less eliminated the Traeger (moving parts break down, no sear-heat, etc.)... but.... is there anything bad that I should be aware of before jumping into the BGE world?

Thanks alot.
[Insert clever signature line here]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cost vs. size

yeah, it's great,  but yer still dropping a major chunk of cash at an 18 inch grill (for the large)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    It's ceramic so it's heavy and will crack if you drop it but that's any ceramic grill. 

I personally think the only thing "wrong" with the egg is the crappy stock gasket. 
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    Options
    The felt gasket will fail and have to be replaced.
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options

The Egg itself is pretty costly, but the accessories can really add up as well. I've easily spent $300-$500 so far on accessories such as the plate setter, pizza stone, thermapen, Maverick, Weed burner, ash pan, ash tool, ect.  That being said, its well worth it.  If my BGE were stolen today, I'd purchase a new one tonight.   

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Stike & Hogsfan nailed the most common "complaints" - it's "Egg-spensive" and ceramic isn't very forgiving if you drop it. And yes, it's not as easy to move around as a smaller, lighter grill. And it's green (and some folks think that makes it unattractive from a "curb appeal" standpoint).

BTW, re: the "expensive" debate - I rationalized that by looking at the top-end stainless grills / islands, which, nowadays can cost in the thousands. At the end of the day, you'd still have a propane powered "grill" which, in my opinion, is basically an outdoor stove - which is to say it's NOT a "BBQ grill."

In my opinion, making BBQ, and "grilling" should be done w/ charcoal (either lump, or briquettes) and wood, as that is what imparts the SMOKE flavor on the food - grilling w/ propane doesn't really add any "flavor" that I'm aware of, and can be done just as well inside on your gas powered stove...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Options
    NM... somehow I accidentally "quoted" myself when I really wanted to actually edit a typo in my post.. so, no message here :)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options

It is pricy but you only need to buy one for the rest of your life (disclaimer...you will likely end up with another:))  The challenge with any besides the XL is cooking area as stike mentioned.  Depending on your anticipated cooking volume, you will need to "go vertical" to get more space.  There are ways to achieve this with little $$ or big $$ so that should not be a factor.  The versatility is the biggest advantage.  Low&slows forever (okay-20+ hours on one load of lump) to pizza cooks in the 600*F+ range to hot sears on the lump, all in one rig.  And did I mention the $$ you will save by staying home and egging vs a trip to the local restaurants. 

The gasket will require replacing but you can get a high-heat nomex from BGE HQ on their dime and there are numerous other options.  There are a few forums that will provide all the help you could need and people are more than ready to assist. Don't look back-somethin might be gainin on ya!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    It's heavy, relatively expensive, and as others have said, the add-ons add up. But it's worth it, i've cooked on webers all my bbq'ing career. they're great grills, but inefficient. Whatever temp you set it at you have a giant thermal mass, it'll stay there regardless. unless you change the vents or keep opening the lid like an idiot. I do competitions, all local, haven't won a GC yet to get invited to the royal or the Jack. But this is a new year and cooking all on eggs. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As said, the basic gasket fails, often early on, but certainly eventually. Its irritating.

The dome can go somewhat out of alignment, and it can take some fussing to get it back where it belongs.

The dome thermometer needs occasional re-calibration.

There will be ashes to clean out.

There is a learning curve. For me, it took several months to unlearn 20 yrs. of habits built up from various metal cookers.

Many restaurant meals will start tasting like junk.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    You end up spending quite a bit of money on meat.

Gerhard
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Draw back is that it is more addictive than crack and oh yeah you will have to replace the gasket
    LET'S EAT
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Drawbacks:

1. Friends always want me to cook for them
    2. Stock gasket will fail
    3. Going out to dinner not as enjoyable anymore
    4. Expensive
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The big reason not to buy an egg is that everyone on this forum and the other forum is wrong.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MeAndTheDog
    Options
    My biggest problem with the BGE is now I am hooked on this forum.
    Conway, S.C.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    1. Cost, you may want another one.
    2. Wife may get jealous of egg, but she will enjoy the food!
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    The versatility of the Egg will drive you to try new things that a normal grill would not, like:
    - wok cooking - I just tried this and it is a blast
    - Low and Slows
    - pizza

and some other stuff.  This could be construed as a con because it becomes a timesink, albeit a fun one.  To be honest, I didn't expect the egg to turn my enjoyment of grilling into a full-blown hobby.

I am glad I bought one however.  The quality of our meals has gone up.
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    I would recommend a BGE to anyone who was interesting in grilling/smoking and was ready to own one for life.  I've had nothing but good times with mine so far (all of 1.5 weeks). 

That said, there are trade-offs:
    -Heavy!  You will not be moving/repositioning this thing without friends (and even then you will do a considerable bit of hand-wringing and fretting!)

-Learning curve.  BGE has the most intuitive temperature control system I've used on any BBQ.  That said, it's not like you just set a knob and walk away, you do need to spend time learning how to use your egg to the fullest of its capabilities.

-Difficult to make changes to the fire once you've set everything in place.  Run out of charcoal or smoking wood?  You'll have to remove the grate/plate setter to add/move anything.

-Difficult to cook multiple things at once.  I'm used to having at least 2 temperature zones and plenty of space (gas grill), so I'm still getting used to preparing a whole meal on the egg.  What I've been doing so far is cooking veggies while my meat rests.  This should cover 95% of the cooking I do.  Still haven't experimented with multiple tiers of cooking. 

As I said, I still think the BGE is a wonderful thing, I wouldn't trade it for anything. 
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    Drawbacks:

1. Friends always want me to cook for them
    2. Stock gasket will fail
    3. Going out to dinner not as enjoyable anymore
    4. Expensive
    These are the main things.If I were to buy a new one i would take the felt gasket off before i even used it and put on the nomex one and save the labour of scrapping off the old one.My felt one never lasted the summer ,I think the first pizza cook fried it.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    You feel something is missing when you're forced to eat leftovers and don't get to do a fresh cook?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    As mentioned numerous times above, gasket failure. And, if you're anything like me, the eventual cost of many things you read about on the forum, like Dizzy Pig rubs or the stuff from the Ceramic Grill Store. You can get by without it, but I sure have fun using it.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    It's a lotta work, but worth it. It's a lotta money, but it's worth it. After talking with people that owned the egg it did not take me long to buy mine, but I love to cook, and I love to cook good food. I still like cooking on a gas grill and I can get some flavor out of it, but nothing like the BGE. If food does not really mean that much to someone and cooking is a pain in the butt, I would not buy a BGE. I would go to the frozen food section and call it a day.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options

You're going to spend a lot of time reading this forum. 

Chubbs is right in that going out to dinner won't be as enjoyable, you'll know that you can cook so much better. 

All of the toys you'll want to buy for it will take care of most of your disposable income.

But man this thing will make you a BBQ hero.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    The food tastes too good and you will want to BBQ a lot more.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Other than heavy, and pricey (up front cost)
    Disagreements over which accesories are necesity and which aren't.
    (They all are necessary!) :)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I bought an Egg for low and slow cooks.    Had a reasonable outdoor kitchen to begin with - but have always loved that smoky flavor you only get one way.    Had cycled through different types of smokers over the years and decided to give the Egg a try.

First - it exceeded my expectations in the low and slow department.   Can go 15 to 20 hours easy without opening the lid - or having to maintain a fire.   Moistness of the meat - fantastic.

Now I am learning a whole new list of things that the Egg will do very well and having fun every step of the way.  Would echo the sentiments above - its heavy, gotta make sure you never ever let it tip.    Will only do a fraction of the quantity of my old side box vertical chamber smoker ( guess I like quality over quantity now ).   Mine sits in one place - not moved around.  

Cookin in Texas
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    -Relatively small grid space on the Large
    -Defective gasket issue
    -Relatively expensive for a "charcoal grill" (although eggers know it is so much more than just a grill)
    -Addictive, which in turn you'll be spending a lot more $ on charcoal and meat
    -Heavy/Not easy to push around without worry
    -Having to explain to the average joe what a "big green egg" is after you brag about it.
    -Not a huge fan of the green color, though I'm used to it now.

That being said, I'm so glad that when I was in the OP's position I decided to go with the egg. My only regret is not getting it sooner. It's a life changer and I'm not eggxaddurating. 

LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options
    I have a large, and for the cost, it has a relatively small cooking surface.  That said, it's never been a problem for my family of 5.
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    Options
    I'am cooking year round, with my gasser it was just a summer thing.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    I have large egg and I can feed a familly of four no problem! Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe are both excellent grills! Go with what you feel comfortable with and what you can afford!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • UrbanEgg
    UrbanEgg Posts: 36
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The only con for me is the initial smoke created, living in an urban dwelling of sorts, sensitive neighbours may not like the smoke or the smell of roasting flesh. Mind you the vegans are few and far between and most people come out of the woodwork when I crack open the egg.

There is a learning curve when playing with the heat. But there is something so satisfying and primal in working with fire and smoke that I will likely never touch a gas grill knob ever again. It's a bonus for me, I just get off on this stuff.

The W.A.F will be eliminated once you serve something from the egg. Case closed.